Liverpool to increase disabled seating at Anfield

Date published: Tuesday 31st January 2017 1:30

Liverpool are to relocate 1,000 supporters to increase disabled seating at Anfield to over 250 for the 2017/18 season.

The present total of 195 wheelchair bays, in addition to the 150 extra amenity and easy-access seats already in place, will be increased and for the first time involve disabled seating for away supporters.

Liverpool say they are also committed to finding a suitable alternative for those season ticket holders who will have to move as a consequence.

In a report by the Culture, Media and Sport select committee released earlier this month, the Premier League’s executive director Bill Bush said its clubs risked fines of £25,000 or even more serious breaches should they not comply with the Accessible Stadia Guide by August 2017.

The report had also accused some clubs of “prioritising finance over improving access”.

Anfield had reopened earlier this season with a new stand that gave them an increased capacity of 54,000, and though that will be unaffected Liverpool have vowed to “mitigate the seat loss as well as working with those season ticket holders who are impacted to find an alternative seat”.

The club’s operations director Andrew Parkinson said: “The LDSA (Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association) and Supporters Committee are fully supportive of our planned approach and the progress that’s been made recently.

“This latest redevelopment work means further significant construction is planned at Anfield this year and we are working with the city’s licencing and planning teams to ratify the proposals.

“Making these further developments this summer will see Anfield achieving the required number of wheelchair positions as stated in the Accessible Stadia Guide.

“The work will mean that some season ticket holders in general admission seats will be affected by the changes and we will work with them on finding an alternative seat. We will be in touch with those directly affected and we thank them for their understanding.”

Work will begin when the present season concludes, and Liverpool hope it will be completed in time for the start of the next campaign.

A joint statement from Keith Graham, the chairman of the LDSA, and Katie Price, disabled supporters representative on the Supporters Committee, read: “The proposed work is the culmination of many years of dialogue.

“We welcome LFC’s commitment to making this a reality by August 2017 and look forward to greater numbers of disabled supporters having the opportunity to attend matches at Anfield.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments