Liverpool turn down £72m bid for Philippe Coutinho

Date published: Friday 21st July 2017 7:25

Liverpool have rejected a £72million bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho and reiterated that he is not for sale.

Barca have stepped up their interest in the 25-year-old and made the bid on Thursday night, which according to several sources, was immediately turned down.

Barcelona are understood to see the Brazilian as the man to step into Andres Iniesta’s boots, but after chasing the playmaker earlier in the summer their interest had waned.

But PSG’s move for Neymar appears to have revived their efforts to get Coutinho on board; Jurgen Klopp however is insistent that Coutinho will not be sold this summer.

Speaking in Hong Kong earlier this week, Klopp said: “The main thing I think about is how we can make the next step with the players we had last season.

“The good news is that actually we didn’t lose – and we will not lose – a player we want to keep this summer. That’s the best news actually and then we’ll see who can bring into the squad.”

PSG have also made enquiries about Coutinho, who only signed a new £150,000-a-week five-year contract with the Reds in January.

But Coutinho, only this month, revealed his happiness at Liverpool.

“I am very happy to be back here and I am ready to start pre-season,” said Coutinho.

“I had a very good summer with my family and friends in Brazil and had enough time to rest and enjoy it. To be honest, it was not that hot there – but still a little bit warmer than here!

“It was nice to come back in and see my team-mates. I’m not training with them yet, but soon I will be back with them and I’m looking forward to that.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments