Liverpool are unbeaten in 20 Premier League home games against Newcastle United going into Saturday’s latest encounter at Anfield.
Liverpool striker Divock Origi will miss several weeks with ankle ligament damage so Jurgen Klopp is likely to choose between Daniel Sturridge and Roberto Firmino in attack.
Christian Benteke has recovered from a knee injury but has not yet trained and will not be involved on Saturday.
Joe Allen could get a start if Klopp decides to rotate his midfield following Wednesday’s Merseyside derby, with the Europa League semi-final first leg against Villarreal to come.
Kevin Mbabu is available for Newcastle after a thigh problem, but neither Fabricio Coloccini (calf) nor Daryl Janmaat (groin and hand) are fit to return.
Tim Krul, Rob Elliot (both knee), Steven Taylor (muscle strain) and Massadio Haidara (knee) also remain on the sidelines for the Magpies.
- Daniel Sturridge has netted six goals in six Premier League starts against Newcastle United.
- Sturridge has now scored 50 goals in all competitions for Liverpool, despite only appearing 87 times for the club.
- Liverpool have won 17 and lost none of their last 20 Premier League matches against Newcastle at Anfield.
- There have been seven red cards in the last eight Premier League meetings between these two sides.
- The Magpies have seen six players sent off in their last seven Premier League games against the Reds and four in the last three trips to Anfield.
- Newcastle have scored just three goals in their last nine Premier League trips to Anfield.
- The Magpies have won just three of their last 30 Premier League away matches (W3 D3 L24), losing the last nine in a row.
- Newcastle have scored just 11 goals in their last 23 Premier League games away from home.
- Divock Origi has scored five goals in his last five games for Liverpool in all competitions.
- James Milner has recorded 11 assists in 2016 in all competitions, three more than any other Premier League player.