Man Utd’s hopes for Gareth Bale dashed by Zidane

Date published: Sunday 26th November 2017 11:20

Zinedine Zidane has ruled out Gareth Bale leaving Real Madrid in January, despite reported interest from Manchester United.

Speaking after Real’s win over Malaga last night, Zidane claimed their would be no exits in the winter transfer window, but he did hint their maybe arrivals at the Bernabeu.

Bale has only made five La Liga appearances this season due to a series of injuries and he is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury.

The 28-year-old’s injury problems has led to reports suggesting Bale will be offloaded by the Spanish champions.

Earlier this month the Daily Mirror and The Guardian claimed Manchester United had targeted the Wales forward.

Reports from Spain suggested Real were ready to sell the player, who is contracted until 2022, and who cost a then world-record £85million in September 2013 from Tottenham.

Reports from Spain and Diario Gol claimed Spurs were ready to bid £60million to bring Bale back to the Premier League, and they do have a first option buy-back clause on Bale that expires in summer 2019.

But Zidane has quashed stories of Bale departing the club.

“In the winter market there will be no exits,” said Zidane. “But anything can happen in terms of arrivals, we will see.”

Ahead of the win over Malaga, Zidane emphasised the importance of Bale to Madrid.

“We know what Gareth can bring us,” Zidane said. “Many things. He is very strong, fast, technically very good, works very hard. It’s true there has been a lot of talk about his injuries, and that he plays just three games before another [absence].

“But he is a very important player for us. He knows that, we know that, everyone does. He is training without a problem, but I don’t know when he will play. We want him back 100 percent, he will not need so much time as there was not a big gap between the two injuries this time.”

Related Articles