Wayne Rooney will bid to extend an excellent personal record on what will be a milestone appearance for Manchester United when they host Norwich at Old Trafford.
Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney could return to action in Saturday’s Premier League home clash with Norwich.
Rooney has missed the last three games due to an ankle injury, but United boss Louis van Gaal confirmed on Friday the striker had been back in training for a full week.
“Three or four players are coming back,” Van Gaal said.
“They have trained a full week – Rooney has, for example. It is possible he can play, but we have to wait and see.”
Rooney’s next appearance will be his 500th as a United player.
He has only scored once for the club since October, and Van Gaal added: “I hope when he plays he scores a goal, because it is a big day for him.”
Van Gaal also revealed that defender Chris Smalling and midfielder Ander Herrera, recently sidelined by groin and hamstring problems respectively, have trained all week ahead of the Norwich match.
While it remains to be seen whether Rooney, Smalling and Herrera return to the team this weekend, United will definitely still be without a significant number of players.
Jesse Lingard, who came off in last weekend’s 2-1 league loss at Bournemouth, is unavailable, along with Matteo Darmian (hamstring), Marcos Rojo (shoulder), Antonio Valencia (foot) and Luke Shaw (leg).
Midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger will also sit out once again due to suspension.
Winger Ashley Young, an unused substitute against Bournemouth, is a doubt due to a slight knock.
Norwich will be without on-loan Liverpool defender Andre Wisdom (hamstring) for the trip.
Goalkeeper John Ruddy is available for selection as the club continue an internal investigation into his involvement in a late-night fracas at a city-centre taxi rank, but Declan Rudd is expected to again be first choice at Old Trafford.
Winger Matt Jarvis, on loan from West Ham, has stepped up his rehabilitation from a knee injury and could feature after Christmas.
- Manchester United have kept six clean sheets in their last seven Premier league games at Old Trafford.
- Norwich City have won just one of their last 19 Barclays Premier League away games (W1 D5 L13).
- Juan Mata has scored four goals in six Premier League appearances against Norwich.
- Norwich have lost 11 and won two of their 14 Premier League meetings with Manchester United.
- Wes Hoolahan has been involved in more goals in the Premier League this season than any other Norwich City player (seven – two goals, five assists).
- Manchester United have won 10 and lost just one of their last 15 Premier league games at Old Trafford.
- Wayne Rooney has netted three goals and provided three assists in four Premier League games against the Canaries.
- Rooney’s next appearance for Manchester United will be his 500th for the club – only nine players have reached this landmark for the club.
- Old Trafford is the stadium to have seen the fewest goals scored in the Premier League so far this season (10).
- This match pits the team with the most clean sheets in the Premier League this season (Man Utd – nine) against the team with the fewest (Norwich City – one).