Martinez: Everton duo left hurt by racism incident

Date published: Sunday 31st January 2016 4:29

Roberto Martinez: Happy to see incident dealt with

Roberto Martinez: Happy to see incident dealt with

Rival managers Roberto Martinez and Keith Curle united to condemn the alleged racist abuse of Everton players during the FA Cup fourth-round win at Carlisle.

The clubs pledged to work closely with police investigating the incident which came after Arouna Kone struck in the second minute to put the Toffees ahead at Brunton Park.

The goal set Everton on the way to a 3-0 victory in which Aaron Lennon and Ross Barkley also scored.

A public address system message soon after Kone’s goal announced any racist abuse would not be tolerated.

Martinez said it was his understanding some “racial remarks” had come from the Warwick Road End stand as Kone and Steven Pienaar celebrated the opening goal, and that both were “hurt” by what they heard.

A statement from Cumbria Police issued after the game said: “Cumbria Constabulary are investigating allegations of racist behaviour…directed towards Everton players following the first goal.

“Officers are making enquiries and the force is asking for those with information to get in touch.”

Carlisle boss Curle said in his post-match press conference: “It is not what we want inside Brunton Park, inside football, or inside society.

“The club will make all efforts. I know there was a steward in the terraces and CCTV as well. We will do everything we can to identify who it was and make sure the relevant penalties and punishments will be adhered to.

“I didn’t hear it myself, but what I would say to any supporters who were next to people and heard people – please step forward and identify them, because it is not accepted.”

Everton manager Martinez said: “We will help the police, Carlisle and everyone to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.”

Asked how Kone and Pienaar were feeling, he said: “They are okay.

“I think they were sensitive and hurt at that moment – probably they were fearful about the game developing into a difficult afternoon.

“But it was a one-off incident.

“As you know, there is no room for that sort of behaviour. But I must stress it was a very small minority and I want to believe that it was just an emotional reaction to the disappointment of conceding a goal.”

Martinez said the incident was well handled by referee Lee Mason, who had been approached by one of the players and then relayed that to the managers, leading to the announcement being made.

Mason spoke to Martinez about the abuse aimed at Everton players.

“I thought it was dealt with in a very good manner,” Martinez added onĀ BT Sport.

After speaking to Curle, it was agreed there should be a warning to spectators.

“We agreed to make an announcement. I thought the referee was very good in how he dealt with that,” Martinez said.

“It was just a reaction, something that we don’t want to see. It was just a reaction to the celebration of the goal and that was it. It would be wrong to highlight such a moment in an enjoyable footballing festivity.”

Martinez on Everton display

Arouna Kone Everton celebration

Asked about his team’s display, Martinez said: “I thought we played well and controlled the threat Carlisle could bring and don’t underestimate the clean sheet against a team that can put the ball in the box very quickly.

“Scoring three goals and creating good chances, overall it was a well-worked performance.”

England midfielder Barkley scored the pick of the goals, with the help of a deflection, and was applauded off by both sets of fans when substituted in the 75th minute.

Martinez said: “He’s a stylish footballer and any football fans love to see that skill.”

Related Articles

Your Say


Comments are closed here.