Martinez nears exit as Everton shortlist high-profile trio – report

Date published: Monday 25th April 2016 12:09

Roberto Martinez: No worries about his squad

Roberto Martinez: No worries about his squad

Manuel Pellegrini, Ronald Koeman and Frank de Boer have all been identified as potential replacements for the under-pressure Everton manager Roberto Martinez.

The Daily Star report that the narrow FA Cup semi-final defeat to Manchester United at Wembley was the last straw for the Spaniard – who has been strongly criticised by the fans for a lack of progress – and the Everton hierarchy, led by new majority investor Farhad Moshiri, are ready to look for a new manager to take the reins at the end of the season.

The idea of replacing Martinez was reportedly first discussed following Everton’s dismal stalemate against Crystal Palace earlier this month and a list of names have been devised ever since.

Outgoing Manchester City manager Pellegrini is said to be the preferred option, but Southampton boss Koeman is an alternative as speculation continues about his future at St Mary’s. Ajax’s De Boer, who came close to joining the Premier League with Tottenham before Mauricio Pochettino was given the job, is also in the mix.

The report also claims that ex-Marseille manager Marcelo Bielsa has declared his interest in taking over at Everton and has told a friend he is ‘confident’ of managing in the Premier League soon. Former boss David Moyes, meanwhile, is not being considered for a sensational return to the Merseyside club as the Toffees aim to head in a new direction.

Related Articles

Your Say

teamtalk323