Everton boss Roberto Martinez has reiterated that Chelsea broke Premier League rules in making their interest in John Stones public.
Martinez said last month that he believed Chelsea’s approach for Stones had put “massive pressure” on the young England defender and claimed “the transfer request was something he didn’t mean to do”. The Goodison Park boss has though made it clear his anger does not lie with Chelsea and Mourinho, but rather the transfer window itself – which Martinez is a huge detractor of.
Asked whether he would shake the hand of Mourinho ahead of Saturday’s lunchtime tussle with his Everton side, he said: “Of course I will, yes. I am against the window being open once the season has started and clubs being able to put in bids when the competition is on.
“I am not against clubs being interested in our players. I understand [Mourinho’s interest] 100%.
“But you cannot come out and comment about another player of another club because the Premier League rules do not allow you to do it. We’re adult enough to understand why it happened – it can put a little bit more pressure.
“It’s not accepted by the Premier League rules but it is something that happens. That’s why I think it’s important that when the transfer window is open and you get these kind of situations, it shouldn’t affect the preparation for a game.
“The talk won’t affect this game. John has been performing at a very good level and gone from strength to strength in a period of high pressure.
“He’s taken the support of us all and performed with great composure and maturity. Then you see how he performs for England in such a natural manner and that’s a sign of the player we have.”