McClaren expects ‘first-class’ Colo to stay

Date published: Sunday 26th July 2015 6:14

Manchester United: Face Ukrainians on Thursday

Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba, subject to the player receiving a visa, have come in so far this summer although McClaren is unsure on whether there will be any more arrivals.

Speaking after the Magpies’ 2-2 draw with Sheffield United, the former England boss spoke of his satisfaction at the club’s business up to this point.

“Gini getting a couple of goals in the two games that he’s played, showing his quality and that’s what we’ve got in Mitrovic and Mbemba. That’s what the club promised at the end of last season and the club have delivered on three very good players,” McClaren told Sky Sports News HQ.

“I don’t know (if there will be more to come). As I said before, we’ve got to be patient, they’ve got to be the right players. I’m happy with the players that we’ve got here, I’m happy with the additions.”

McClaren was also confident of retaining the services of centre-back Coloccini. The defender missed the clash at Bramall Lane through injury and has been linked with a reunion with former manager Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace. McClaren, though, seemed unconcerned.

“We’ve had no official approach,” he added. “Colo’s been working with us on and off, nursing his Achilles at the present moment and getting through some work as well but he’s been a first-class professional.

“I’ve come through the door, he’s the captain and like everybody else we want to see him on the field and playing for this team.”

Asked if he expected Coloccini to start the season in a Newcastle shirt, he replied: “I don’t see why not.”

Related Articles

Your Say

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *