Mourinho linked with swoop for Chelsea full-back

Date published: Saturday 18th June 2016 1:48

<> on May 15, 2016 in London, England.

Manchester United are interested in signing Chelsea full-back Cesar Azpilicueta, according to reports in Spain.

Spanish daily AS claims incoming Chelsea gaffer Antonio Conte is happy to offload the versatile defender this summer for just £11.8million.

Last week The Telegraph reported that Azpilicueta was a target for Barcelona as they look to replace the departed Dani Alves, but now Jose Mourinho is believed to be interested in the defender.

The Spain star was a key player under Mourinho at Chelsea and the United boss is a big admirer of the consistent 26-year-old.

“Azpilicueta is the kind of player I like a lot. I think a team with 11 Azpilicueta’s probably could win the competition [Champions League] because football is not just about the pure talent,” said Mourinho in February 2014.

Mourinho is preparing a move for the right-footed full-back, who plays on the left for Chelsea, but Paris Saint-Germain and Athletic Bilbao are also set to compete for Azpilicueta’s signature.

Former Osasuna star Azpilicueta, who signed for £7million from Marseille in 2012, has a contract at Stamford Bridge that runs until 2019 and in March he said he was happy to remain with the west Londoners for another “few years”.

“I plan on staying another few years at Chelsea,” said Azpilicueta. “I’m very happy there. I’m not thinking about leaving the club. I’m only thinking of (playing for) the Blues.

“But if I have to leave it would be for a club where I could develop even more than at Chelsea.”


Related Articles

Your Say