Mourinho was ‘sacked’, as he targets quick return

Date published: Saturday 19th December 2015 11:32

Jose Mourinho: Set to succeed LVG at Man Utd

Jose Mourinho: Set to succeed LVG at Man Utd

Jose Mourinho has released a statement suggesting he was sacked and did not leave “by mutual consent” at Chelsea.

Blues bosses insisted Mourinho had left the club “by mutual consent” after he departed the champions on Thursday, but Mourinho’s statement via his management agency hinted that he was sacked.

“During his career, Jose has sometimes chosen to leave a club, but only at Chelsea has the club decided that he should leave,” CAA said in a statement.

“Each time represents for him the end of a cycle, and the opportunity to start a new one. Jose hopes that his future after Chelsea this time will be as successful as when he left the club in 2007.”

Mourinho though is looking forward to getting back into management despite suffering nine defeats in his opening 16 games at Stamford Bridge.

GettyImages-500680780

“He will not be taking a sabbatical, he isn’t tired, he doesn’t need it, he is very positive, and is already looking forward,” continued the statement.

“Because of his love of football, you will see Jose at football grounds working and supporting friends. He will not be attending any high-profile games because he wants to discourage any speculation about his future.

“Jose will remain living in London and hopes he and his family will be given the opportunity to do this privately.

“Jose will not speak about his current situation for the foreseeable future. He asks the media to respect this decision.”

While Mourinho is already looking to get back into management and reports suggest he is keen on managing Manchester United, Chelsea are yet to replace him as Guus Hiddink has indicated he is in no rush to accept the interim manager’s job.

Despite flying into London less than 24 hours after Mourinho left, there was no swift conclusion to negotiations despite the club’s hope of having him installed on Friday night.

After apparent upheaval behind the scenes during Mourinho’s last few months in charge – Chelsea’s technical director Michael Emenalo cited “palpable discord” between the manager and the players – the 69-year-old wants to make a full assessment of the situation at Stamford Bridge.

“We are still talking, exchanging stuff… It is possible that we would still use this weekend to discuss,” Hiddink told Fox Sports.

“It could take hours or days before I say yes or no. The news is fresh. I first want to take a good look.”

Hiddink had, in an interview with Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf earlier on Friday, admitted he wanted to make a full appraisal of the situation at Stamford Bridge before his next move.

“I want to get some good insight before I make my decision,” he said. “I want as much information as possible. Chelsea are in a bad situation and there are reasons for that.

“I want to gain some good insights on that before I make my decision. Whether or not I’m visiting their next match depends on my first conversation. Then I’ll decide if I should stay in London longer.”

If he does eventually accept Chelsea’s offer, Hiddink will reprise the role he performed in 2009 when he replaced Luiz Felipe Scolari in February of that year, guiding the club to the FA Cup and third place in the table as well as a Champions League semi-final where they narrowly and controversially lost to eventual winners Barcelona courtesy of a stoppage-time away goal.

Assistant coach Steve Holland will take charge for the visit of Sunderland, although Hiddink could be in the stands to run the rule over his prospective new players.

Related Articles

Your Say