Liverpool hopes fade as Naby Keita contract details emerge

Date published: Friday 7th July 2017 7:01

RB Leipzig have confirmed that Naby Keita nor any other of the Bundesliga club’s players have exit clauses in their contracts this season.

The Guinean midfielder has become Jurgen Klopp’s No 1 transfer target in recent weeks, with Leipzig placing a £70million valuation on the midfielder in an effort to keep the Reds away.

That has done little to put off Klopp though and they are believed to have made their first contact with Leipzig on Sunday evening.

Last week, Guinean journalist Amadou Makadji claimed Klopp had spoken to Keita about a possible move to Merseyside, before the Reds approached Leipzig on Sunday evening.

That claim is followed up in The Times and, although Leipzig have made it clear they do not want to sell the player,  here was a growing feeling that the Bundesliga outfit could be ready to accept the inevitable.

Keita, 22, is believed to have informed Leipzig that he would like to speak to the Reds about a transfer, while the Germans try to convince him to lead their first foray into the Champions League this season.

It does though look as if Liverpool are losing the battle after Leipzig sporting director Ralf Rangnick claimed even a world-record bid of £100million would not persuade them to sell.

“None of our players has an exit clause this season, there is no pain limit – even in the three-digit (£100m) range,” Rangnick  said during a press conference.

“We will not give (sell) a regular player and it does not matter if someone says he does not know where to play next season. It’s enough if we know it.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments