Jose Mourinho is set to hold talks with several members of his squad this week amid claims they are to be officially told they can leave Manchester United this summer.
Mourinho, whose Man Utd side claimed a 2-0 win at Wigan in their first pre-season clash under his charge, takes his squad to China later this week where they will compete in the International Champions Cup against Borussia Dortmund and Manchester City.
But Mourinho intends to only take those members of his squad whose place at the club is guaranteed and amid claims he wants to have a happy contingent in the travelling group in the Far East.
Earlier this week, it was reported Mourinho was planning to tell four senior men their time at Old Trafford was up – but the Daily Star on Sunday suggest the men who will be told they can leave are Adnan Januzaj, Juan Mata, Antonio Valencia, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Phil Jones.
Another player whose future has been under the spotlight, Marcos Rojo, has been mentioned as a target for Villarreal, according to the Mail on Sunday, while the Sunday People suggest Espanyol have joined the chase for Mata.
A number of youth players who made breakthroughs under Louis van Gaal are also waiting to learn their fate under Mourinho, with reports last week suggesting Guillermo Varela and Tyler Blackett will also be shown the door.
Mourinho is believed to want to keep a close-knit squad of around 24 players, although Sunday’s update suggests the ex-Chelsea supremo is undecided on the fate of a number of players, with those on the periphery given a place on the tour to convince him they can still have a future at the club.
Mourinho is expected to name his travelling party to China on Tuesday and the announcement is likely to provide the clearest indication yet about which players he sees as disposable by the club.