Newcastle have signed Georginio Wijnaldum and Alexsander Mitrovic so far this summer, with Anderlecht defender Mbemba expected to complete a £7.5million move to St James’ Park before the weekend.
The 20-year-old, who admitted it was a “dream come true” to be moving to the Premier League, is unlikely to be the last signing made by McClaren, who says the club are working on several mystery targets.
“We’re forever working,” he told the Newcastle Chronicle.
“People are mentioning this and that. Believe you me, we have a lot of names that people have not got hold of yet.
“We have been close with them.
“At the moment we have two in, and I am sure we are looking for others. But, as I say they, have to be the right ones.”
Although a deal for Mitrovic has already been concluded, McClaren does not expect the striker to be available for Sunday’s friendly at Sheffield United.
“I think it’s the visa we have to get through, and it might take three or four days,” McClaren added.
“It will be good to get back on Friday, meet him and get him in with the family.”