Newcastle close on Townsend swoop after agreeing £12m fee

Date published: Tuesday 26th January 2016 10:59

Andros Townsend: Poised to seal move away from Spurs

Andros Townsend: Poised to seal move away from Spurs

Newcastle are poised to add long-term target Andros Townsend to their ranks after finally agreeing a £12million deal with Tottenham for the England winger.

The Magpies have been chasing Townsend for some time and their patience looks set to be finally rewarded after they agreed a fee with Tottenham for the wantaway winger.

Steve McClaren’s men had an initial £10m bid snubbed last week, with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reportedly holding out for nearer £14million – but a compromise of £12million has been reached and the player is due to travel to the North-East for talks and a medical on Tuesday.

It is understood Townsend, whose situation has also been monitored by Southampton, is keen to push through the move after slipping out of the reckoning at White Hart Lane following a difference of opinion with a member of Mauricio Pochettino’s staff.

The 24-year-old will now head for Tyneside to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms, although no hitches are expected with his camp having indicated his readiness to rekindle his career at St James’ Park.

Indeed, he has told friends once he was aware of the club’s interest, the chance to head north was “impossible to turn down”.

Townsend is clearly relishing a move to the North-East, and told Sky Sports: “As soon as I knew of Newcastle’s interest they were the only club I wanted to join.
“Two of the biggest positions you can play in football are centre-forward or left winger.
“I’ve got the chance to play one of those – I could never turn that down. I can’t wait to play my first game at St James’ Park, I’m excited!”

England international Townsend has not played for Spurs since the 2-1 Europa League defeat at Anderlecht on October 22, and has had to be content with run-outs for the club’s under-21s since.

Indeed, he hinted at his impending exit on Monday night when he tweeted: “Been an absolute pleasure playing with the u21 boys the last 3 or 4 months!”

McClaren will hope there are no late snags as he continues his rebuilding plan, which has already seen midfielders Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet arrive this month for a combined total in the region of £17million.

Townsend’s capture would take the club’s spending since McClaren’s appointment last summer to £81million, in stark contrast to owner Mike Ashley’s previous policy, and the spending is unlikely to stop there with the club desperate to add a proven striker during the remaining days of the January transfer window.

West Brom’s Saido Berahino remains their number one target, although the Baggies’ valuation of the player remains a significant stumbling block and other potential targets have been identified with Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis and Chelsea’s Loic Remy understood to be among them.

Newcastle currently sit inside the Barclays Premier League relegation zone, two points from safety with 15 games remaining.

They have created chances in recent weeks, but have failed to make the most of them and Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Watford reinforced the need to address the situation as a matter of urgency.

Related Articles

Your Say