Newcastle ‘enquire’ about Liverpool man – report

Date published: Thursday 15th June 2017 10:12

Premier League new boys Newcastle are interested in signing Liverpool man Lucas Leiva, according to a report.

Lucas, 30, has one year left on his contract, but is believed to be exploring other options after 10 years at Anfield.

And the Northern Echo report Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez is keen on a reunion with Lucas.

They claim Newcastle have “enquired about the availability” of the Brazilian, who can play in central defence and in central midfield with Benitez earmarking in the latter role as competition for Jack Colback and Isaac Hayden.

Lucas, who is also interesting Brighton, could cost around £4million and may welcome a reunion with Benitez with whom he had a successful three-year spell during the Spaniard’s time at Anfield.

“There is no doubt about my commitment to Liverpool, I just need to wait until the end of the season, work hard and make a decision together with the club,” Lucas said in April.

Lucas, who has revealed he turned down a move to Brazil with Gremio in January, played 31 times under Jurgen Klopp last season, mainly as a centre-back.

“There was an offer from Gremio in January but I wanted to complete 10 years at Liverpool,” said Lucas.

“Now in the window we had a conversation, but nothing official. I do not hide my desire to return to Gremio, but there are several factors.”

Klopp pulled the plug on Lucas’ departure in January, just as he did last summer when the Reds’ boss blocked Lucas’ move to Turkey with Galatasaray.

Metin Korkmaz, an agent employed by Galatasaray to smooth over negotiations last year, said Klopp stopped the move from happening.

“Klopp was behind the transfer hitting the rocks, he wants Lucas to stay and the player had to listen,” Korkmaz said last summer.

“If it was up to Lucas he would have made the transfer.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments