Manchester City will be boosted by the return of Vincent Kompany and Raheem Sterling when they face relegation-threatened Newcastle at St James’ Park on Tuesday night.
Fabricio Coloccini and Daryl Janmaat will miss Tuesday night’s Premier League clash with Manchester City.
Skipper Coloccini is yet to shake off the calf injury which has sidelined him since February, while Janmaat will sit out with groin and hand problems.
Full-back Kevin Mbabu is close to a return from a long-standing thigh problem, but goalkeepers Tim Krul and Rob Elliot (both knee) and defenders Steven Taylor (muscle strain) and Massadio Haidara (knee) are still out.
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany and Raheem Sterling are back in contention for the trip.
Defender Kompany has been out for the past month with the latest in a succession of calf-related problems, while England international Sterling has missed the last five games with a groin injury.
Playmaker David Silva (ankle) is again missing while forward Samir Nasri, recently returned from a lengthy lay-off, will rest a minor muscle injury. Full-backs Gael Clichy and Bacary Sagna also miss out with back injuries.
- Newcastle United have won none of the last 18 Barclays Premier League meetings against Manchester City (D2 L16), losing the last 12 in a row.
- Indeed, if Man City win they’ll equal the record of consecutive Premier League wins against a specific opponent (13 – Manchester United against Wigan Athletic).
- City have won seven and lost none of their last eight visits to St James Park.
- Newcastle have scored just one goal in their last six Premier League games against Manchester City, conceding 23 in that time.
- Sergio Aguero has scored 10 goals in just eight Premier League appearances against Newcastle United.
- The Argentinian’s tally of 10 goals is the joint-most he has against any opponent in his Premier League career (along with Spurs).
- Aguero has scored 99 Premier League goals in 146 Premier League games – if he scores in this game then he’ll be the 2nd quickest to 100 goals in the competition after Alan Shearer (124 apps).
- David Silva has five goals and four assists in his last seven Premier League appearances against the Magpies.
- Man City have scored at least two goals in each of their last 15 Premier League games against Newcastle and 11 in the last two meetings.
- Manuel Pellegrini’s next victory will be his 100th as Manchester City manager in all competitions.