Arsene Wenger is expected to retain complete control of football matters at Arsenal next season – but there is reportedly a ‘growing feeling’ it will be his last year in charge.
Wenger has once again come in for criticism from Arsenal’s supporters this season after seeing another Premier League title challenge collapse, but a protest against the Frenchman was poorly observed at Saturday’s match against Norwich City.
Wenger said he expected ‘the whole stadium’ to hold up ‘Time for change’ posters calling for him to leave his position, but instead it was only a minority that did so. The response was loud, vocal backing for Wenger and the team, suggesting the 66-year-old retains the backing of most – for now at least.
Either way, the Daily Telegraph says the protests will fall on deaf ears, with Wenger set to remain in charge of all player and football staff matters next season.
Crucially, however, the newspaper says there is a ‘growing feeling inside the Emirates’ that it will be Wenger’s last season in charge of the club.
In the meantime, Wenger is already working on his summer transfer targets, with Bayern Munich centre-back Mehdi Benatia the latest player linked.
It was reported on Sunday that Arsenal are also keeping tabs on Robert Lewandowski’s situation at Bayern and that Borussia Dortmund midfielder Julian Weigl and young Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney are further targets.
The Daily Telegraph says Wenger is also playing a major role in a revamp of Arsenal’s youth set-up, adding that ‘owner Stan Kroenke still trusts Wenger’s judgement and will not force any appointments on the club’s most successful manager’.