No break clause in England deal: Southgate 1 FA 0

Date published: Thursday 1st December 2016 1:16

New England boss Gareth Southgate has revealed there is no break clause with the four-year contract he signed with the Football Association.

When negotiations began it was expected Southgate would receive a contract worth around £1.5million a year with a break clause for both parties to review the arrangement after the 2018 World Cup.

But having moved into a position of strength after a 3-0 win over Scotland and an entertaining 2-2 draw against Spain, the 46-year-old was able to negotiate more favourable terms.

His pay is thought to be nearer £2million, with performance-related incentives, and he was clear that his four-year deal came with no built-in caveats.

“No, there’s no break clause,” he said.

“I’m taking over at a point where the last two tournaments haven’t been as successful as we’d like. There’s big potential in the squad but a lot of hard work ahead.

“We’ve got a group of players I think are going to develop a lot and it’s important to look not just at short-term results.”

Southgate wants his assistant, Steve Holland, to join the FA payroll on a permanent basis having previously worked a job split with Chelsea.

Discussions around that are ongoing, though Chelsea’s strong performances in the Premier League this year mean they may not be willing to let their coach go until the end of the campaign.

gareth-southgate

There are also no guarantees that Sammy Lee and Martyn Margetson, drafted to the coaching team by Allardyce and retained during Southgate’s temporary stint, will remain.

At least some changes to the backroom team are expected but negotiations are not yet complete.

“We’re working towards that and hope to be able to make some announcements soon,” he said.

“I think everyone knows how important Steve has been for me in terms of the work we’ve done in the last few years (at under-21 level) and in the last few weeks, there’s no secret in that.

“At the moment everything is ongoing.”

Southgate was flanked at Wembley by FA chief executive Martin Glenn and technical director Dan Ashworth, two of the most influential voices behind his appointment.

Glenn insisted he was happy to waive the break clause in the new man’s deal as a sign of commitment.

Allardyce’s contract only extended to the 2018 World Cup but Glenn confirmed Southgate’s work will be viewed over a longer period.

“He is a tough negotiator actually, but we had an alignment of interests,” he said.

Gareth Southgate

“I wanted, and had a mandate from the board, to offer a four-year contract because we’ve got quite a young squad. We need time to see that squad’s potential develop and be nurtured.

“I think we’ll do well in Russia, personally, but in the hypothetical event we didn’t there’s a longer-term project and I think we need to support Gareth, to build towards 2020 and hopefully beyond.

I felt it was important we had a contract that reflected that.”

Ashworth, who joined Glenn and FA chairman Greg Clarke in a three-man selection panel, added: “I’ve obviously worked closely with Gareth for three years in his role as under-21 coach.

“I think sometimes when you go through an interview process internal candidates can be at an advantage and a disadvantage. Certainly the way Gareth conducted himself was outstanding and confirmed we felt he was the best candidate for the job by a long way.”

Related Articles

Your Say