Now New York turn their backs on Schweinsteiger

Date published: Sunday 9th October 2016 9:50

Bastian Schweinsteiger: Not wanted by the Red Bulls

Bastian Schweinsteiger: Not wanted by the Red Bulls

A move to the New York Red Bulls is not an option for Manchester United outcast Bastian Schweinsteiger.

The side top of the Eastern Conference have distanced themselves from reports that the 32-year-old could sign for them in January.

Red Bull Head of Global Soccer Oliver Mintzlaff has made it clear the Red Bulls are not interested in the former Germany international.

“Schweinsteiger is a great player who has had an amazing career,” Mintzlaff told Bild. “But there are no talks [over a move to New York RB]. He is not an issue for us and he will not become an issue.”

Schweinsteiger has been deemed surplus to requirements by Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford and recent reports suggested he could be on his way to MLS.

MLS chief Don Garber previously stated that he is keen to lure Schweinsteiger to the American top flight.

“We would welcome Bastian with open arms,” Garber told Kicker. ” We know him from the 2014 World Cup, when he played against the USA. Plus he played an All-Star game here with Bayern. We are keeping a close eye on his situation.”

Bastian Schweinsteiger Manchester United

Despite the Red Bulls stance, FC Dallas president Dan Hunt recently spoke of his admiration for the former Germany captain.

“He’s a terrific player. I have admired him and the success his team had. It’s no coincidence. He’s a winner,” he told German website SPOX.

“At the moment, we only have space for one designated player and we wanted to fill this with a striker. Maybe it will change. We will see.”

Meanwhile, Schweinsteiger has spent his first free international break by training on his own at the club’s Carrington training base (and taking selfies).

After retiring from international duty on August 31 the former Bayern midfielder has been kicking his heels while United’s international contingent have been away.

Schweinsteiger hasn’t been included in Warren Joyce’s reserve team group either and has “cut a lonely figure jogging or going to the gym alone”, according to the Daily Mail.

Mourinho has recently preferred to call up youngsters Matty Willock and Ro-Shaun Williams to first-team training to boost numbers and help on tactical work, rather than call on Schweinsteiger.

The German is believed to have rejected opportunities to leave United in the summer, but he has not made an appearance this season and has been left out of the club’s Europa League squad and in the club’s latest accounts it was claimed  he was “no longer considered to be a member of the first team playing squad”.

Related Articles

Your Say