Paper Talk: Arsenal turned down £60m Lemar; Diego Costa snub

Date published: Friday 8th September 2017 10:15

Diego Costa’s loan move away from Chelsea has collapsed and Arsenal passed up signing Thomas Lemar for £60million and now will pay £92million for him in January, all in the papers.

ARSENAL WILL SIGN LEMAR IN JANUARY

Arsenal sensationally passed up the opportunity to sign Thomas Lemar for £60million earlier in the year, according to a report.

The Daily Star says the Gunners had “concerns over his commercial value” and turned down the Monaco man, but they claim they will sign him January for £92million after agreeing a deal in principle.

The paper claims a five-year contract for the France midfielder, worth around £250,000-a-week, has been agreed and the deal not hinge on Alexis Sanchez being sold in the New Year.

Sanchez was set to go to Man City last week until Arsenal pulled the plug at the last minute because their deal for Lemar could not be done.

Despite being widely reported that Lemar snubbed the Gunners on deadline day, it now appears there were genuine problems in pushing the deal through in time while the 21-year-old was on international duty.

“We had to sell someone,” said Wenger yesterday.

Wenger somewhat confusingly also claimed that Lemar had not turned down Arsenal, but had instead decided to stay with Monaco.

 

DIEGO COSTA’S TRANSFER COLLAPSE

Chelsea striker Diego Costa’s move to Turkey has collapsed, according to Fenerbahce boss Aykut Kocaman.

The Istanbul-based giants were chasing a loan deal ahead of today’s Turkish transfer deadline, but their efforts to land the 28-year-old have been in vain .

“The transfer of Diego Costa was very close. But then the result was negative,” Kocaman said, as quoted by CNN’s Turkish website.

Costa has been included in Chelsea’s Premier League, but he has been left out of the club’s Champions League squad.

He is yet to return to Chelsea for the new season and remains in Brazil in a bid to force a move to Atletico Madrid.

Fener have turned to Vincent Janssen instead with the Spurs striker heading to Istanbul for talks.

 

AND THE REST

Inter Milan star Ivan Perisic will sign a new deal in Italy with an “anti-Man Utd” clause. (Gazzetta dello Sport.)

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is expected to hold talks with the club in November about extending his contract. (Telegraph)

West Ham are planning a January move for Sporting Lisbon and Portugal midfielder William Carvalho, 25, despite an ongoing row over this summer’s failed deal. (Sun)

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo says he is hopeful Chelsea and Spain striker Diego Costa, 28, will return to the club in January. (Marca)

Lille turned down the chance to sign Netherlands international Vincent Janssen, 23, because coach Marcelo Bielsa had doubts about the Tottenham striker’s technique. (SFR Sport, via London Evening Standard)

Valencia considered a loan move for Tottenham midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 28, during the summer but instead opted to sign 21-year-old Manchester United player Andreas Pereira. (Super Deporte, via Talksport)

Arsene Wenger says Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain may have been tapped up. (Daily Mail)

Vincent Kompany is a major doubt for Manchester City’s clash with Liverpool. (Daily Mail)

Everton insist plans for a new stadium have not been dented by Liverpool’s failed Commonwealth Games bid. (Daily Mail)

Hatem Ben Arfa has threatened Paris Saint-Germain with legal action after he was demoted to the reserves. (Daily Mail)

Nigeria are hoping to lure Tammy Abraham to play for them instead of England. (Daily Mail)

Virgil van Dijk has made peace with Southampton following his return to training. (Star)

Jose Mourinho is expected to be approached over extending his Manchester United contract in November, the mid-point of his existing deal, which ends in 2019. (Telegraph)

Aleksandar Mitrovic says his elbow on Manuel Lanzini “was not even a foul”. (Telegraph)

Paris St-Germain forward Julian Draxler has told his Germany team-mates he wanted to join Barcelona in the summer. The 23-year-old was linked with Arsenal. (Mundo Deportivo, via Metro)

Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik, 30, says the chance to move to Manchester United would prompt the toughest decision of his career. (Kicker, via Star)

Liverpool attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho, 25, will not be given an instant recall because manager Jurgen Klopp says the Brazilian is short of fitness. (Mail)

Barcelona are interested in Marseille’s French attacker Maxime Lopez, 19. (Mundo Deportivo)

Hull City were close to signing Leicester City striker Ahmed Musa, 24, on loan on transfer deadline day. (Hull Daily Mail)

Bayern Munich striker Thomas Muller is a target for Juventus. The 27-year-old also interests Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea. (Tuttosport)

Fourteen-year-old Barcelona wonderkid Xavi Simons is wanted by super-agent Mino Raiola. (Sun)

Marco Silva is still refusing to confirm whether Miguel Britos has a future at Watford following his horror challenge that led to a straight red card.(Daily Express)

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments