Pep Guardiola is targeting a trio of Premier League stars as his first Manchester City signings, while Chelsea have their own wishlist of strikers.
GUARDIOLA TO RAID PREM RIVALS
As Pep Guardiola prepares to replace Manuel Pellegrini at Manchester City, this season has shown the ageing squad requires a fair amount of surgery this summer.
Despite winning the League Cup, City have massively underwhelmed this season, finishing fourth in the league and stuttering to the semi-finals of the Champions League before producing a terribly timid display in being knocked out by a Real Madrid side there for the taking.
And according to The Sun, Guardiola is “destined” to spend big upon his arrival at the Etihad, which could lead to a number of deals which would reverberate around the Premier League, namely the signings of Alexis Sanchez, John Stones and Danny Rose.
Arsenal would undoubtedly be loathe to losing their star forward Alexis Sanchez, but the Chilean’s future has been the subject of increasing speculation after he reportedly stormed out of the Emirates following his substitution against Norwich earlier this month.
The 27-year-old has previously been linked with Bayern Munich and is said to be growing “increasingly frustrated” in north London, which should perhaps encourage City to make a big-money bid.
Stones, meanwhile, is likely to attract interest for the second-consecutive summer, despite his poor form this term in Everton’s porous defence. Chelsea are tipped to reignite a potential move for the England international, while the 21-year-old’s ability on the ball is believed to appeal to Guardiola.
Question marks remain over the future of Aleksandar Kolorav, and Gael Clichy is now the wrong side of 30, meaning Spurs left-back Danny Rose – who has improved immensely this season under the tutelage of Mauricio Pochettino – has emerged as a prime candidate to inject some relative youth and energy to City’s creaky back four.
AND THE REST
– Arsenal are ready to smash their wage budget to beat Chelsea to Spain hitman Alvaro Morata (The Sun)
– Chelsea are working through a wishlist of strikers that includes Gonzalo Higuain, Alvaro Morata and Romelu Lukaku, as Diego Costa’s future remains in doubt (Daily Mail)
– Arsenal are prepared to smash their wage budget to beat Chelsea to Spain hitman Morata (The Sun)
– Radja Nainggolan remains Chelsea’s primary target, despite the 28-year-old midfielder’s public claims that he does not want to leave Roma (Daily Telegraph)
– Memphis Depay’s future at Manchester United has been thrown into further doubt after the winger was axed from Louis van Gaal’s FA Cup final squad (Various)
– Newcastle are close to confirming the appointment of Rafa Benitez as manager on a permanent basis as they put the final touches to the terms of the deal to keep him at St James’ Park (Daily Telegraph)
– Everton want over £23m for Ramiro Funes Mori, who has been linked with Lazio, claims the defender’s agent (Daily Mirror)
– West Ham are set to offer left-back Aaron Cresswell a second new deal in a year, amid reports of interest from Liverpool and Manchester City (Daily Mail)
– Manchester United midfield target Lucas Biglia is set for contract talks with Serie A outfit Lazio (Daily Express)
– Mauricio Pochettino is prepared to sell Son Heung-Min less than a year after the South Korean joined Tottenham Hotspur, while Ryan Mason is also for sale (Daily Telegraph)
– Real Betis sporting director Miguel Torrecilla has admitted the club are keen to sign Chelsea’s Charly Musonda on a permanent basis, but has baulked at the asking price (Daily Express)
– Ivan Juric looks set to snub interest from Leeds United as he closes in on the manager’s job at Genoa (Daily Express)
– Former Inter Milan and Napoli boss Walter Mazzarri has agreed a three-year deal to take over as Watford manager (The Guardian)