Paper Talk: Chelsea track Germany starlet; Arsenal eye £50m Morata

Date published: Friday 12th May 2017 10:48

Arsenal have joined Chelsea and Manchester United in the race to sign Alvaro Morata, while another Liverpool midfielder is on the radar of Brighton, according to Friday’s papers.

GUNNERS JOIN £50m STRIKER RACE

Arsenal are the latest club to register their interest in Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata, according to reports.

The Sun claim Morata, who has only made 13 La Liga starts this season, wants to leave the Bernabeu this summer to find regular first-team football.

The 24-year-old only returned to Real last summer after they invoked a clause in his contract to bring him back to the Spanish capital but he has spent much of the season on the bench and has decided to move on.

The forward’s preferred option is believed to be a move to Chelsea.

Alvaro Morata: Would prefer a return to Juve this summer

Morata recently said: “I feel indebted to Conte because he is the manager who trusted and most wanted me – even though he left Juventus before I arrived.”

Chelsea though are split with technical director Michael Emenalo wanting to re-sign Romelu Lukaku.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is also interested in Morata, who will cost around £50million with foir years of his contract still to run in Spain

BRIGHTON CHASE LUCAS 

Newly-promoted Brighton are chasing another Liverpool player, according to a report.

Just days after they were linked with Kevin Stewart, Chris Hughton is now believed to want Lucas Leiva to underpin their debut season in the Premier League.

Lucas, 30, is destined to leave Anfield in the summer with his contract coming to and end and Hughton, claim the Daily Mirror “wants to bring in top-flight ready players”.

The Brazilian who has played in midfield and in central defence for Jurgen Klopp this season “has been discussed as a potential signing” for the south-coast side.

Lucas revealed last month that he will hold talks with the club at the end of the season over his future.

He said: “There is no doubt about my commitment to Liverpool, I just need to wait until the end of the season, work hard and make a decision together with the club.

“I have been here long enough and if the time comes for me to go somewhere else I think I will leave with the feeling that I did everything I could.”

Lucas has been at Anfield for coming up 10 years after he joined from Gremio in May 2017 for a fee of around £6million.

 

AND THE REST

Wales forward Gareth Bale, 27, is willing to move to Manchester United if Real Madrid decide to sell him in the summer. (Independent)

Inter Milan are ready to double the salary Mauricio Pochettino earns at Tottenham Hotspur to make him their new head coach. (Football Italia)

England are lining up a third friendly against Germany in just over a year as part of FA agreement with German federation. (Daily Mail)

Paul Lambert could quit as Wolves manager over plans for agent Jorge Mendes to handle the club’s transfers. (Daily Telegraph)

Craig Shakespeare wants his Leicester stars to stay, irrespective of any verbal gentlemen’s agreements they may have with the club. Riyad Mahrez, Kasper Schmeichel and Jamie Vardy are all set to be in demand again this summer. (Daily Mirror)

Jesus Navas has been offered a new deal to stay at Manchester City after impressive recent performances. (Daily Mirror)

Jesus Navas: May return to Spain this summer

Claude Puel’s days at Southampton look numbered – with Hull boss Marco Silva already approached about replacing the under-fire Frenchman. (Daily Express)

Atletico Madrid are interested in Leicester striker Jamie Vardy, 30, and Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez, 28. (Independent)

Chelsea are considering selling the naming rights to their new stadium – but have told interested buyers they have to accept Stamford Bridge will stay in the name. (London Evening Standard)

And Blues fans have started an online petition – which has more than 5,000 signatures – for a ‘John Terry Stand’ at the new stadium. (London Evening Standard)

Chelsea’s players will receive a £5m bonus to be split among the squad if they clinch the Premier League title. (Times)

Chelsea want 17-year-old German forward Jann-Fiete Arp, who has been tipped for a bright future at Hamburg.(Daily Mirror)

Striker Mario Balotelli’s contract when he was at Liverpool included a £1m bonus clause for not getting sent off three times in a season.(Daily Mail)

Arsenal are set to reassure manager Arsene Wenger they do not have plans to restrict his power. (Daily Telegraph)

Leicester boss Craig Shakespeare believes the club could break their transfer record again this summer as they target a return to the Champions League. (Daily Express)

West Brom are set to agree a compensation fee of between £3m and £5m for Leeds left-back Charlie Taylor, 23, and avoid going to a tribunal. (Daily Mirror)

Charlie Taylor: Facing punishment

Middlesbrough have made a £300,000 bid for Hartlepool winger Nathan Thomas, 22, after Sheffield United had an offer accepted earlier in the week. (Daily Mail)

West Brom boss Tony Pulis encouraged his south coast neighbour Harry Redknapp to take the Birmingham City manager’s job because he finds the three-hour commute “relaxing”. (Express and Star)

Manchester United are considering approaching Paul Mitchell, who found Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli, after he resigned from his role as Spurs’ head of recruitment. (Manchester Evening News)

West Ham are interested in signing Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta, but face stiff competition for the experienced 32-year-old. The Argentine is out of contract at the end of the season. (London Evening Standard)

Pablo Zabaleta: Proud of City

Former Manchester United winger Nani, 30, says he wants to stay at Valencia amid growing speculation he will be sold in the summer. (Radio Marca, via ESPN)

Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes, 23, has been offered to rivals Real Madrid, according to reports in Spain. (Don Balon)

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments