Arsenal are set to bid for Sadio Mane, while Jurgen Klopp looks to solve Liverpool’s problem position, report today’s papers.
ARSENAL EYE MANE MOVE
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is lining up a swoop for Southampton forward Sadio Mane as a replacement for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, according to the Sunday Mirror.
Mane was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United in January, and Chelsea are also reportedly interested in the 24-year-old.
Earlier this year it was suggested Southampton would be willing to sell the Senegal international this summer after Mane made it clear he would not be signing a new deal at St Mary’s, and it is understood a bid of around £17million would be enough to secure his services.
Wenger has turned his attention to Mane as it has become increasingly likely Oxlade-Chamberlain will leave the Emirates, while Danny Welbeck faces another lengthy spell on the sidelines, although Theo Walcott will not be allowed to leave the club.
Oxlade-Chamberlain, himself a former Southampton winger, has failed to establish himself in north London and is a target for a number of clubs, with Leicester the latest to show an interest.
Claudio Ranieri hopes to sign the England international as he tries to bolster his squad with players who have experience of competing at the highest level, as the Premier League champions prepare for the debut campaign in the Champions League.
Meanwhile, Arsenal are on the verge of completing the signing of Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Granit Xhaka, who was pictured on Saturday in the Gunners’ kit.
KLOPP PRIORITISES LEFT-BACK
Liverpool will open talks with Leicester over a deal for teenage left-back Ben Chilwell next week, according to the Sunday Telegraph.
After a season in which current incumbent Alberto Moreno produced a number of woeful defensive displays – causing Reds legend Jamie Carragher to urge the club to “sign a f***ing lef-back” – Klopp has identified Chilwell as a “priority signing”.
The 19-year-old caught the eye during a spell on loan at Huddersfield Town earlier this season, and Arsenal are believed to have two offers for the England youth international reject in January.
Chilwell has been offered a new £18,000-a-week deal at Leicester, while the Reds will have to better Arsenal’s offer of £5million plus a further £2million in add-ons to have any chance of landing the highly-rated prospect.
AND THE REST
– Liverpool are confident of completing a £20million deal to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Mario Gotze by the end of next week (The Sun)
– Incoming Chelsea boss Antonio Conte wants to sign Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, 24, upon his arrival at Stamford Bridge (Gazzetta dello Sport)
– Conte is also interested in Inter Milan goalkeeper Samir Handanovic, who could cost around £15million (Gazzetta dello Sport)
– The agent of Martin Skrtel has revealed the Liverpool defender is considering offers from clubs in Turkey
– Manchester United are planning a £30million move for Sevilla midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, who has been strongly linked with Arsenal (The Sun)
– West Ham have had a £31million bid for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, according to the French side’s president (Goal)
– Hector Bellerin remains committed to Arsenal despite reports linking the full-back with a return to Barcelona (Evening Standard)
– Southampton are tracking 22-year-old Anderlecht midfielder Dennis Praet (Mail on Sunday)
– Bolton have told Arsenal they will have to pay £7million for England Under-21 defender Rob Holding (Sunday Express)
– The president of Serie A newboys Crotone admits they could hand Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli a lifeline to return to Italy after the striker spent the season on loan at AC Milan (Liverpool Echo)
– Everton striker Romelu Lukaku says he has “made his decision” regarding whether he will stay at the Toffees or move elsewhere this summer (Liverpool Echo)