Paper Talk: Chelsea, Arsenal target open to exit; Barkley scramble

Date published: Monday 13th February 2017 7:58

Chelsea and Arsenal target Marco Verratti admits he’s open to leaving Paris Saint-Germain and Ross Barkley looks set to spark a summer scramble for his services, all in today’s papers.

SANCHEZ ‘TUG-OF-WAR’

Alexis Sanchez is involved in a “transfer tug-of-war” between Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus, according to the Daily Mirror.

Forget his current club Arsenal, as they are not even on one end of the rope, so to speak, as Juventus and PSG apparently close in on the Chile star.

The report claims Serie A giants Juve “believe they have a strong chance of signing the Arsenal striker”, who has only 18 months remaining on his contract.

They will though face competition from the Ligue 1 side with the report suggesting Paris Saint-Germain have also sounded out his representatives.

Arsenal have been in discussions with the 28-year-old and are believed to have offered him a contract worth £180,000-a-week but that has been turned down.

 

SPURS MOVE IN ON ARSENAL TARGET

Tottenham have joined Arsenal in the chase for one of Arsene Wenger’s long-term targets, according to a report.,

Monaco’s 18-year-old striker Kevin Mbappe, who Wenger has been tracking for two years, is now on the radar of Mauricio Pochettino, according to the Daily Mirror.

Wenger recently admitted to knowing the player “very well” and claimed he came very close to landing the player last season.

“He’s a huge talent,” said Wenger earlier this month. “It was at stake last season but he decided to stay at Monaco.”

Now though Spurs want the player, who scored an impressive hat-trick in his club’s 5-0 demolition of Metz on Saturday.

Wenger has compared the youngster to Thierry Henry in the past.

“He is not exactly Thierry Henry but it is true that he has similar qualities and the future and talent is similar,” Wenger told he Ligue 1 show.

Mbappe has a contract with Monaco until the summer of 2019.

 

AND THE REST

Reports claiming Arsenal have identified Borussia Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel as Arsene Wenger’s replacement are “completely fictional”, says the German club’s chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke. (The Sun)

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, 23, could delay his decision on signing a new contract with his boyhood club, alerting the top Premier League sides to a potential summer deal. (Daily Star)

Former Rangers manager Alex McLeish, 58, says he is open to an Ibrox return following the departure of Mark Warburton. (Daily Express)

Ronaldinho believes new Manchester City forward Gabriel Jesus, 19, can take over from Barcelona star Lionel Messi as the world’s best footballer. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United will have to pay another €10m (£8.5m) to French side Monaco when forward Anthony Martial scores his next Red Devils goal. The clause was part of the deal which saw the 21-year-old move to Old Trafford for an initial £36m in September 2015. (Daily Mirror)

Spain midfielder Juan Mata, 28, was never in danger of being sold when Jose Mourinho arrived at Manchester United – despite letting him go from Chelsea. (Manchester Evening News)

Under-fire Manchester City keeper Claudio Bravo, 33, has been offered advice by team-mate Willy Caballero – who has replaced him in Pep Guardiola’s side – about coping with criticism. (Manchester Evening News)

Southampton are going to head abroad for a warm weather training camp in preparation for their League Cup final against Manchester United later this month. (Southern Daily Echo)

West Bromwich Albion centre-back Craig Dawson, 26, hopes he impressed watching England manager Gareth Southgate in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at West Ham.(Birmingham Mail)

Sunderland’s four-night team-bonding trip to New York will still go ahead this week despite criticism after Saturday’s heavy 4-0 defeat against Southampton.(Sunderland Echo)

Manchester City are ready to launch a world-record transfer bid for Tottenham’s Dele Alli. (The Sun)

Yaya Toure insists he still has plenty to offer Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, and can even go on playing for another five years. (The Sun)

Chelsea and Arsenal target Marco Verratti admits he’s open to leaving Paris Saint-Germain – but only for Barcelona. (Various)

Rafa Benitez is a shock contender to replace Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger. (The Sun)

Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola are set for another battle, but this time in the transfer market as they both aim to bring Monaco defender Djibril Sidibe to England. (Manchester Evening News)

Southampton’s move for Martin Caceres could be about to hit the rocks with Barcelona in need of defensive cover for Aleix Vidal. (The Sun)

Chelsea target Tiemoue Bakayoko is understood to have rejected a contract extension at Monaco. (Daily Mirror)

Arsene Wenger has admitted off-form Mesut Ozil is suffering from a crisis of confidence ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League showdown with Bayern Munich in Germany on Wednesday. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool bounced back to form against Tottenham on Saturday after the players cleared the air at a no-holds-barred meeting called by captain Jordan Henderson and not attended by manager Jurgen Klopp. (Various)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic revealed how his breakfast chats with Anthony Martial helped the young striker rediscover his best form after a difficult season under sceptical new boss Jose Mourinho. (Various)

Sadio Mane’s agent has rejected claims his client turned down a move from Southampton to Tottenham in the summer, joining Liverpool instead, due to his wage demands. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United will offer David de Gea a huge new contract in an attempt to keep him out of the clutches of Real Madrid. (Daily Star)

Jose Mourinho has told Luke Shaw he can still have a future at Manchester United. (Daily Star)

Manchester United nearly missed out on signing Cristiano Ronaldo, according to former Juventus chief Gianni Di Marzio. (Daily Express)

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments