Chelsea are eyeing a shock move for Robin van Persie, Spurs are in talks to sign Sandro Ramirez, while Felipe Caicedo and Islam Slimani are being tracked by Everton, say Wednesday’s papers.
CHELSEA PLOT VAN PERSIE SWOOP
Chelsea are weighing up a move for Fenerbahce and former Manchester United striker Robin van Persie, 32, to solve their goalscoring problems.
The Daily Express claims the Blues are weighing up the move for the former Arsenal man and could bring him in alongside Alexandre Pato, with both Loic Remy and possibly Radamel Falcao set to leave the club before the transfer window closes.
Van Persie has endured a frustrating time during his time in Turkey and could be tempted to return to England, where he would provide cover and competition for Diego Costa at Stamford Bridge on a deal until the end of the season.
SPURS HOPE FOR RAMIREZ DEAL
Mauricio Pochettino will continue to make a striker his transfer priority despite losing defender Jan Vertonghen to injury – but Spurs appear to have abandoned their pursuit of Saido Berahino and are concentrating on signing Barcelona’s Sandro Ramirez.
That’s according to the Daily Star, who believe Spurs are growing increasingly frustrated at West Brom’s refusal to do business with them over Berahino following their failure to land the England Under-21 striker last summer.
So Spurs are looking at Sandro instead, with a loan deal or a £3million transfer including a buy-back clause being discussed.
Barca would prefer the 20-year-old to leave for another Spanish club, with Malaga the latest to enter the running.
But Tottenham are determined not to miss out and further talks are planned between the clubs this week.
EVERTON TARGET STRIKE PAIR
Everton are keen to bolster their striking options before the transfer window closes, with Felipe Caicedo and Islam Slimani both on their radar.
Mundo Deportivo claims the Toffees will meete Caicedo’s €10m (£7.3m) release clause to secure the Espanyol striker before the end of the transfer window.
The paper suggests the former Manchester City forward is happy in La Liga side but, having also been linked with Newcastle United in recent days, he looks “closer to leaving the club than staying” due to the economic power of the Premier League side.
Everton, meanwhile, are also reported to have checked on Sporting Lisbon forward Slimani, according to the Daily Mail.
The Algerian has been watched by several Premier League clubs including Crystal Palace, Sunderland and West Ham.
His consistency has been called into question as has the asking price. He is understood to have a clause set at £22.5million though it is reputedly only valid for the summer.
AND THE REST
- Chelsea will demand £80m from Real Madrid if the Spanish side persist in their efforts to sign Eden Hazard (The Sun)
- Lionel Messi will earn an incredible £583,000 per week when his new Barcelona contract kicks in next season (The Sun)
- Barcelona have hit a snag in their attempt to sign Celta Vigo star Nolito, which could open the door for Arsenal to step in (The Sun)
- Chelsea could face a Barcelona-style transfer embargo over their use of Bertrand Traore in U18 games when he was only 16 years of age (The Sun)
- Andros Townsend will see his wages treble to £55,000 a week when he completes his move to Newcastle from Tottenham (Daily Mail)
- Newcastle are keen to tempt Loic Remy back to St James’ Park but Chelsea want £12m to complete a permanent transfer (Daily Mail)
- Tottenham will make a final £17m offer to West Brom for striker Saido Berahino (Daily Mail)
- Alexandre Pato will become a Chelsea player on a permanent deal this summer if his loan move to Stamford Bridge proves to be a success (various)
- Sergio Aguero has begged Manchester City fans to fill the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night, with plenty of cut-price tickets still available for the Capital One Cup semi-final second leg against Everton (Daily Star)
- Tomas Rosicky is closing on a first-team return for Arsenal after coming through a run-out for the U21 side unscathed (Daily Star)
- Manchester United fear assistant coach Ryan Giggs will quit the club if Louis van Gaal departs Old Trafford and the club appoint an external candidate (Daily Mirror)
- Jonathan de Guzman is set to return to Swansea City but the Welsh club have given up on signing his Napoli team-mate Manolo Gabbiadini (Daily Mirror)
- Bolton Wanderers have been blocked from signing striker Shola Ameobi, who had been with the club on a short-term deal, because of their transfer embargo despite him offering to play for the club for free (Daily Mirror)
- Leicester will offer CSKA Moscow £15m for striker Ahmed Musa after appearing to lose out on Eder, who is favouring a move to Inter Milan (Daily Mirror)
- Middlesbrough have offered £9m for Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes, 25, with a further £2m based on appearances (The Sun)
- Leicester City have checked on Feyenoord midfielder Tonny Vilhena (Daily Mail)