Manchester City have handed Chelsea a boost in their pursuit of Paul Pogba, while Jose Mourinho faces another battle to sign John Stones, according to today’s papers.
CHELSEA GIVEN HOPE IN POGBA CHASE
Antonio Conte is determined to land Juventus star Paul Pogba this summer, and reports suggest Manchester City could pave the way for Chelsea to land the midfielder.
According to The Sun, Chelsea are in constant contact with Pogba’s representatives, but were expected to face stiff competition from the likes of City and Barcelona.
However, The Star report that incoming City boss Pep Guardiola has instead turned his attention to Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos, who helped Los Blancos win the Champions League final on Saturday night.
And this could open the door for Chelsea to make a £76million move for the 23-year-old.
MOURINHO PRIORITISES STONES
According to the Sunday Express, Jose Mourinho has told Manchester United chiefs that Everton defender John Stones should be a priority signing this summer.
Mourinho is a long-term admirer of Stones, who he tried to sign on numerous occasions last summer while he was still in charge of Chelsea.
And the Portuguese remains a big fan of the 22-year-old, despite the centre-back’s poor form for Everton over the last 12 months.
Everton face another battle to keep hold of Stones, with Spanish champions Barcelona also interested in the England international.
And according to the Mail on Sunday, the Catalan giants are about to make an opening offer of £25million for the defender.
Last year, Everton are understood to have rejected an offer in the region of £40million from Chelsea.
AND THE REST
– Teenage striker Marcus Rashford has signed a long-term contract at Manchester United with his basic salary being £20,000 per week, plus bonuses (Telegraph)
– Everton striker Romelu Lukaku is a target for Paris St-Germain as the French champions search for a replacement for Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who could join Manchester United (Express)
– The Toffees are doing further reference checks on former Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini after the Chilean impressed club chiefs during talks last week (Mail)
– Leicester and Liverpool are competing to sign out-of-favour Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Express)
– Tottenham could activate the £6.4million release clause for Barcelona defender Marc Bartra (Sport)
– Swansea want to re-sign Wilfried Bony from Manchester City for £16million, the outstanding balance that City still need to pay from the original transfer (Mirror)
– Leicester have had an £18million bid rejected for former Stoke midfielder Steven N’Zonzi, who helped Sevilla win this season’s Europa League (Mirror)
– Crystal Palace are in the process of making a triple summer transfer swoop for Steven Caulker, Ryan Mason and Saido Berahino (Express)
– West Ham tabled a £3million bid for Toulouse striker Martin Braithwaite, which could pace the way for Diafra Sakho to join Sunderland (Mail)