Arsene Wenger is close to bolstering Arsenal’s midfield, while Loic Remy could be on his way from Chelsea to Aston Villa, according to today’s papers.
ELNENY TO UNDERGO ARSENAL MEDICAL
Arsenal may be top of the Premier League as things stand but fans are desperate for Arsene Wenger to strengthen his squad in January.
Midfield is a particular concern with Jack Wilshire, Santi Cazorla, Francis Coquelin, Thomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta all currently injured.
And according to the Daily Mail, Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Elneny is an imminent arrival, with Wenger wanting to bring in reinforcements early in the window.
The paper reports the 23-year-old will have a medical in Paris today, ahead of a £7.4million move to the Gunners from FC Basel.
El Neny has won the Swiss title in each of his three seasons with the club and was part of the side which beat Chelsea in the Champions League two years ago.
FRENCH CONNECTION TO LURE REMY TO VILLA
Aston Villa manager Remi Garde is hoping he can convince Chelsea striker Loic Remy to join his Premier League strugglers on loan in January.
Garde’s side are stranded at the bottom of the table and are unsurprisingly the lowest goalscorers in the division.
Remy, meanwhile, has found regular first-team football hard to come by at Stamford Bridge since arriving in July 2014.
The Daily Mirror suggest a temporary switch is on the cards, with the pair familiar to each other from their time at Lyon.
The question will be whether a move to the seemingly doomed Villa appeals to the 28-year-old.
NEWCASTLE TRACKING NAPOLI DEFENDER KOULIBALY
Newcastle appeared to be on the up after back-to-back victories over Liverpool and Tottenham earlier this month.
However, they have now gone three matches without a win to slip back into the Premier League’s relegation zone.
And according to the Daily Mirror, boss Steve McClaren wants to beef up his leaky defence – which has conceded the second-most goals in the league – with the signing of Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.
The centre-back was a target for Norwich City over the summer but a move never transpired and he remained in Italy.
Having since impressed in the Napoli side which is only a point behind Serie A leaders Inter Milan, McClaren wants to trigger the 24-year-old’s £8million release clause.
AND THE REST
- Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich are interested in Everton forward Steven Naismith but are unwilling to meet the Toffees’ £10million asking-price (The Sun)
- Ligue 1 side Mocaco want to sign out-of-favour Everton winger Kevin Mirallas (The Sun)
- Atletico Madrid are weighing up a £12million move for Watford striker Odion Ighalo (Daily Mirror)
- Ashley Cole will meet with La Galaxy chiefs this week as he eyes a move to the MLS (Daily Express)
- West Ham are set to make Manuel Lanzini’s loan move from Al Jazira permanent (Daily Mirror)
- Watford will beat Norwich in the race to sign Peterborough starlet Jonathan Edwards (The Sun)