Pep Guardiola’s Chelsea deal is 90% done, Liverpool close in on £5m deal and Man Utd are tracking a Servette speedster, all in the papers.
GUARDIOLA’S CHELSEA DEAL 90% DONE
A deal for Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola to become Chelsea boss in the summer is 90% done, according to the Daily Express.
This is the same rag that had ‘You’re Safe’ as their back page headline on Thursday morning just hours before he left Chelsea.
— Paul Smith (@Smudge1962) December 17, 2015
LIVERPOOL CLOSE IN ON £5M DEAL
Jurgen Klopp is “close to signing his first major transfer target at Anfield”, according to the Daily Mirror. Read on with baited breath, in fact don’t bother because it’s a story TEAMtalk had over a week ago and the man in question is 19-year-old Red Star Belgrade midfielder Marko Grujic. The tabloid states Ian Ayre has flown out to Serbia to finalise a £5million deal, but don’t get too carried away because the midfielder will immediately be loaned back to his team Red Star Belgrade. Grujic has held talks with Liverpool, but admitted no deal had been struck, now however Liverpool are set to conclude an agreement with the 6ft 3in youngster after Klopp’s assistant manager Zeljko Buvac initially recommended the player.
UNITED CHASING ‘SPEEDY’
According to Bild Manchester United are battling with some of Europe’s biggest clubs to seal a deal for Servette’s 15-year-old striker Lorenzo Gonzalez. United have had scouts checking on the Swiss ace who is known as ‘Speedy’ since the summer, but Real Madrid are also believed to be interested in the younsgter. The latest reports suggest Borussia Dortmund, Roma and Juventus are all now keen on the pacy Swiss prospect.
AND THE REST
- After the sacking of Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink, 69, is set for a second short-term stint in charge of Chelsea, but Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is the Blues’ long-term target. (Telegraph)
- Diego Simeone, 45, is yet to be convinced a move to Stamford Bridge is right for him. (Daily Mail)
- A deal for Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola, 44, to become Chelsea boss in the summer is 90% done. (Daily Express)
- Former Tottenham boss Juande Ramos, 61, is being considered as a potential interim manager after Mourinho’s departure. (Times)
- Mourinho’s penultimate day as Blues boss was marred by a shoving match after a tackle from Cesc Fabregas during a training session involving players from both the first team and academy. (Times)
- Mourinho could return to Real Madrid to replace another former Chelsea coach, Rafael Benitez, according to former Real chairman Ramon Calderon. (The Sun)
- Former Chelsea forward Tony Cascarino says there is one “obvious” candidate to take the Chelsea job… Alan Pardew. (The Times)
- Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 30, who has been linked with Paris St-Germain, said he likes Madrid more than Paris, but that might “change”. (Marca via Visao)
- Former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says new manager Jurgen Klopp “has lifted the whole place” and wishes he could play for the German. (London Evening Standard)
- Bournemouth are preparing to bid for Hull defender Curtis Davies in January. The 30-year-old centre-back’s contract expires at the end of the season and the Championship club may be willing to let him go to avoid losing him on a free transfer in the summer. (Mirror)