The latest on Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola to Manchester City, plus Gareth Bale to Manchester United make Sunday’s newspapers.
HOW LONG DOES MOURINHO HAVE LEFT?
The Sunday newspapers are split on what the future holds for Jose Mourinho following yet another defeat for Chelsea on Saturday.
The Daily Mirror references ‘sources in Portugal’ as believing Mourinho may not even be in charge for the club’s Champions League clash with Dynamo Kiev on Wednesday night, but The Sun on Sunday claims the Portuguese will be given that game and next weekend’s at Stoke to save himself.
Mourinho responded simply ‘no’ when asked if Saturday’s defeat to Liverpool would prove to be his last game in charge, and The Sun says he was told after the club’s Capital One Cup exit at Stoke that he would remain in charge at least until Chelsea’s return to the Britannia Stadium, after which there is an international break.
Most of the newspapers report Mourinho’s job is not under immediate threat, despite several of them reporting earlier in the week that defeat to Liverpool could spell the end for him at Stamford Bridge.
The Independent states the 52-year-old is likely to be given at least a month to turn the Blues’ season around.
GUARDIOLA IN MAN CITY TALKS
It was reported by the Daily Telegraph on Monday that intermediaries were sounding out Pep Guardiola about the possibility of taking over at Chelsea next season, but the Sunday Express claims the Bayern Munich boss is now in ‘advanced talks’ about replacing Manuel Pellegrini at Manchester City in the summer.
Guardiola is out of contract at Bayern at the end of the season and has not signed an extension amid regular speculation in recent years that he would like to manage in the Premier League.
Manchester City beat Norwich on Saturday to stay top of the table, but Pellegrini has delivered only one league title and one League Cup trophy in his two seasons in charge, apparently convincing City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak that Europe’s most successful manager is needed.
Guardiola has won Bundesliga titles, the German Cup, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup with Bayern, adding to the two Champions League wins he secured in charge of Barcelona.
UNITED TARGET BALE…
In a story which is regularly regurgitated, the Sunday Mirror claims Manchester United are planning another £90million move for Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale.
‘It is understood Bale is still the number one target for United’, the newspaper writes. ‘United will not enter into negotiations to trade Bale for goalkeeper David De Gea, but Ed Woodward believes he can still do business with the Spanish giants’.
United will try for Bale in January, it is claimed, and will then make ‘every attempt’ to lure the Welshman to Old Trafford next summer if that initial approach fails.
It is claimed Bale and his advisors are trying to secure him a ‘lead role’ at the Bernabeu, ‘a situation United are hoping to exploit’.
The Mirror says Thomas Muller and Robert Lewandowski are back-up targets if United cannot land Bale.
The same newspaper claims Manchester United are preparing to offer £40million for Lazio playmaker Felipe Anderson after learning Bayern Munich are also interested.
United were said to be interested in Anderson in the summer but apparently balked after being told by Lazio that the 22-year-old would only be sold if his £57million buy-out clause was met.
The Mirror does not state whether the Italian club’s stance has changed since then but suggests that United will outbid Bayern, who value the Brazilian at £35million.
AND THE REST
Harry Kane is the shock name on Bayern Munich’s wanted list (Sun on Sunday)
Tottenham are to offer Christian Eriksen a new contract that will keep the Danish star at White Hart Lane for the next four years (Sunday Mirror)
Manchester City and Manchester United are set to battle for the signature of Belgium’s latest young star, Anderlecht’s £30m-rated midfielder Youri Tielemans (Daily Star Sunday)
Paul Scholes has destroyed his chances of ever returning to Manchester United as a coach (Sunday Mirror)
Liverpool are facing a fight to keep hold of Jordan Rossiter as interest mounts in the 18-year-old midfielder (Sunday Mirror)
Leicester will demand £15m for in-form striker Jamie Vardy, who has attracted interest from Tottenham, Liverpool, West Brom and Borussia Dortmund (Daily Star Sunday)
Discuss these transfer rumours on the new-look Your Say forums.