Paper Talk: Liverpool back on trail of Porto star

Date published: Saturday 15th October 2016 10:00

Ruben Neves: Midfielder has caught the eye for Porto

Ruben Neves: Midfielder has caught the eye for Porto

Liverpool are back on the trail of Porto starlet Ruben Neves and Chelsea are chasing a Marseille youngster, all in today’s gossip.


Liverpool have been in contact again with Porto midfielder Ruben Neves’ agent, according to reports in Italy.

The Reds are believed to have made attempts to land the 19-year-old in the summer and now Italian outlet Calciomercato say Liverpool and Chelsea have both enquired about the availability of the player, who has a €40million release clause.

Juventus are also said to be interested in the player, who Liverpool were set to formalise a bid for earlier this year. The Record in Portugal claimed Jurgen Klopp was all set to make an offer for the player, who has captained Porto in the Champions League.

He is the youngest-ever captain in the Champions League and his progression through the ranks at Porto has been very impressive leading many of Europe’s top clubs to put him on their radar.

Neves has a contact which runs until June 2017 and he is represented by the super-agent Jorge Mendes.



Gareth Bale, 27, will demand to be paid the same as Cristiano Ronaldo, 31, at Real Madrid, and is expected to earn a gross weekly wage of £750,000. (The Times)

Real Madrid midfielder Isco, who has been linked with a move to Tottenham, has no intention of leaving the Spanish giants in January, according to the 24-year-old’s father. (Calciometro)

Manchester United winger Memphis Depay, 22, is wanted by Wolfsburg, and the German club could make a move for the Dutchman in the January transfer window. (Bild)

The Red Devils are struggling to offload defender Matteo Darmian, 26, and face being priced out of a move for Monaco full-back Fabinho, 22. (Goal)

Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante, 25, will leave Stamford Bridge to join “a very, very big European club”, according to his former Caen coach. (ESPN)

Sadio Mane has revealed how Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp tried to sign him for former employers Borussia Dortmund when the Senegal international was with Red Bull Salzburg of Austria. (Mirror)

Chelsea are keen to sign 16-year-old Marseille defender Boubacar Kamara. (Sun)

Mauircio Pochettino says there are no guarantees England midfielder Eric Dier will continue to get regular club football at Tottenham. (Express, Mail)

Slaven Bilic has denied that West Ham United are planning to send Simone Zaza back to Juventus in January following the on-loan striker’s underwhelming start to life in England. (Guardian)

Everton winger Gerard Deulofeu, 22, will not rule out a return to his former club Barcelona. (Mundo Deportivo)

Sunderland boss David Moyes says he would be interested in managing Scotland one day. (Daily Mail)

Former Sunderland boss Gustavo Poyet believes something needs to change inside the Premier League club “at its very core”.(Guardian)

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid both hope to sign 16-year-old Luxembourg midfielder Vincent Thill from French club Metz. (Footmercato)

Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri led a delegation to identify potential sites for the Toffees’ new stadium. (Liverpool Echo)

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez has tipped midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, 24, for a return to the England squad. (Newcastle Chronicle)

Liverpool are set to hand 17-year-old forward Ben Woodburn a three-year professional contract. (Liverpool Echo)

Former Liverpool and England defender Jamie Carragher has welcomed the return of the Premier League and says international football “is a bore and something drastic must be done”. (Daily Mail)

Related Articles

Your Say