Paper Talk: Liverpool in Pato running, United transfer freeze

Date published: Friday 22nd January 2016 11:31

Alexandre Pato: Could face Watford

Alexandre Pato: Could face Watford

 Alexandre Pato’s agent says there are a quartet of clubs chasing the Corinthians star, including Liverpool, while Man Utd will not recruit in January.


Forget what Jurgen Klopp said a couple of weeks ago, because Alexandre Pato’s agent says there are a quartet of clubs chasing the Corinthians star, including Liverpool.

Chelsea have been heavily linked with the former AC Milan forward, with some reports suggesting personal terms had been agreed at Stamford Bridge. But that talk seems premature and the 26-year-old’s agent Gilmar Veloz claims Liverpool and Portuguese pair Sporting and Benfica are also chasing the player.

“The January market is very limited,” Veloz told UOL Esporte. “Chelsea, Liverpool, Sporting and Benfica. All four have a chance.”

Two weeks ago Reds boss Klopp denied the Reds were in the race to sign the Brazil star.

“You don’t have to follow the Pato path any longer,” said Klopp.

Who to believe, hey?


Manchester United have put major transfers on hold because of the increasing uncertainty over Louis van Gaal’s future as manager, according to the Daily Mirror.

The tabloid claim that Van Gaal, 64, could well quit at the end of the season with 12 months left of his Old Trafford deal remaining. They also state that United’s officials have “growing doubts” over Van Gaal’s long-term position – not a huge surprise considering his age, and the fact that he has continually referenced his managerial career is almost over.

All “big deals” are now on the “back burner” after concerns increased over the last few weeks, so the reported £35million move for Felipe Anderson has been shelved.



Atletico Madrid director Andrea Berta has flown to London to try and swoop for Chelsea stars Pedro and Diego Costa, according to the Daily Star.

Atletico are keen on the Chelsea duo and are willing to offer Colombia striker Jackson Martinez as bait. Coach Diego Simeone is desperate to bring Costa back to the Spanish capital, while Pedro has not settled in west London and the club’s hierarchy have not been impressed with the former Barca man.

Martinez scored 92 goals in 132 games for Porto before Atletico stumped up his €35m release clause last summer, but he has struggled this term and he will be allowed to move on.



Zenit St Petersburg want Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini to take charge when Andre Villas-Boas leaves at the end of the season, say the Daily Star.

Zenit owner Alexander Dyukov will fund a move for the Chilean coach and is prepared to pay the 62-year-old around £5m a season.

The Russians are confident that Pellegrini, who has also been linked to the Chile job, will  be moving on at the end of the season.

Bets on the future of City’s management structure have been popular and you can view this, as well as plenty of other markets, right here.



Stoke have made a £19million bid to sign Porto midfielder Giannelli Imbula. (Mirror)

West Ham boss Slaven Bilic hopes to get Emmanuel Emenike at West Ham. (Sun)

Aston Villa will not spend big to get themselves out of trouble. (Sun)

Norwich want to sign Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford. (Mirror)

Liverpool want £3million for teenage striker Jerome Sinclair. Bournemouth and Watford have made enquiries.

Dusan Tadic’s transfer to Southampton is being probed by independent investigators from his old club Twente.

Middlesbrough want to sign Ross McCormack amd Matt Phillips for a combined £16m.

Liverpool are continuing talks with Shakhtar Donetsk over the £24m signing of Alex Teixeira and have played down his hamstring injury. (Express)

West Ham striker Mauro Zarate has joined Fiorentina.

Alan Pardew is pondering giving Wolfsburg’s Nicklas Bendtner a chance to return to the Premier League.

Tottenham have the first option to re-sign Wales forward Gareth Bale, 26, should he be sold by Real Madrid – according to a leaked document. (Daily Mirror)

Bale’s representatives are outraged by the leak of financial details of his £85m transfer. (Daily Telegraph)

Defender Branislav Ivanovic, 31, is set to sign a new one-year contract at Chelsea, in a deal which will match his current wage of £120,000 a week and has the option of a further year. (Daily Express)

Nemanja Matic, 27, is debating his future at Stamford Bridge and may choose to leave Chelsea after a recent dip in form. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United have taken 15-year-old Polish goalkeeper Bartosz Mrozek on trial. (Przeglad Sportowy, via Daily Express)

Fernando Torres could soon be the highest-paid player in the world, with eight offers on the table according to his agent. The 31-year-old Spain striker is on loan at Atletico Madrid from AC Milan. (Sun)

Crystal Palace are considering offering a six-month contract to striker Emmanuel Adebayor, 31, who is a free agent after being released by Tottenham. (Guardian)

Former Brazil midfielder Ronaldinho, 35, says he has no plans to retire and will look for a new club after celebrating the Rio carnival in February. (Goal)

Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce has revealed he is looking for two outfield players and a goalkeeper, but refused to confirm whether he wants to sign Swansea striker Andre Ayew, 26. (Chronicle Live)

Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren has made a £7m bid for Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis, 30. (Sun)

Newcastle look set to end their interest in Andros Townsend after Tottenham refused to lower their £14m valuation of the 24-year-old winger. (Guardian)

Former Nottingham Forest boss Stuart Pearce has not spoken to Bristol City about the Championship side’s managerial vacancy, despite being heavily linked with the role. (Talksport)

Leeds United have submitted two written bids for January transfer targets, following the £3.7m sale of full-back Sam Byram, 22, to West Ham. (Yorkshire Evening Post)

Fulham midfielder Scott Parker, 35, is considering a move into coaching or management if he retires from playing at the end of the season. (Guardian)

Related Articles

Your Say