Paper Talk: Liverpool target £10m Man City swoop

Date published: Thursday 17th March 2016 11:20

Fernando: Wanted by Liverpool

Fernando: Wanted by Liverpool

Liverpool are preparing a £10millon bid for a Man City midfielder, while Chelsea are set to step up their chase for a new centre-back.


Liverpool are planning a £10million bid for Manchester City midfielder Fernando, according to The Sun.

The tabloid claims German boss Jurgen Klopp is monitoring the Brazilian’s situation at The Eithad and could make an offer for the 28-year-old who signed for City for £12million from Porto in the summer of 2014.

Klopp though is not keen to spend more than £10million on the defensive midfielder, while his old Portuguese club Porto are also believed to be keen on a move for the player whose length of contract was not revealed when he signed for City 21 months ago.

But with Pep Guardiola arriving in the summer, Fernando is believed to be one of the players who will be allowed to move on.



Chelsea have been put on alert after Paris St-Germain central defender Marquinhos claimed he could be ready to quit the club in the summer.

The 21-year-old Brazil international, who was a player who was interesting Jose Mourinho last year, could become a target for the Blues again as they look to replace John Terry.

Chelsea looked at Marquinhos as an alternative to John Stones after Everton refused to sell the England man, but PSG were not keen to sell him.

However, Marquinhos has not been able to break into the French champions’ side, with David Luiz and Thiago Silva the first choices.

“I try to work to win my place and to have playing time. We’ll see how the season will finish. Afterwards, there will be a reflection,” Marquinhos told the Daily Mirror.



Manchester City manager-elect Pep Guardiola wants Athletic Bilbao’s France Under-21 international Aymeric Laporte and Everton’s England international John Stones, both 21, to be a central defensive partnership. (Daily Express)

Yaya Toure, 33 in May, has told Manchester City he will walk away this summer unless he is offered a new contract next week. (Sun)

Tottenham are planning a move for Mainz playmaker Yunus Malli, the 24-year-old Turkey international midfielder, according to reports in Germany. (Kicker)

Manchester United are ready to bid £24m for Roma’s 25-year-old Italy international full-back or midfielder Alessandro Florenzi. (TMW)

West Brom manager Tony Pulis has been ordered to pay more than £3.5m after a Premier League mediation panel found in favour of Crystal Palace over a ‘survival bonus’ paid to him. (Sky Sports)

Liverpool and Manchester United are watching Germany international goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen and have been encouraged by the suggestion that Barcelona will sell the 23-year-old this summer if the price is right. (Daily Mail)

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri wants to spend the rest of his career with the Premier League leaders. (Daily Star)

Manchester United assistant manager Ryan Giggs says it “hurts” that the club are not in the Champions League, adding “it is not a big gap” to reach the top four and that he is “relaxed” about his future. (Times)

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is set to open formal talks with chairman Daniel Levy at the end of the season about a new contract. (London Evening Standard)

Swansea manager Francesco Guidolin is among the candidates being considered for the role as Italy boss, with Antonio Conte due to leave in the summer. (Daily Star)

Top-flight clubs are set to overhaul their reserve and youth-team set-ups, under new proposals put forward by the Premier League. New ideas include a full reserve league – nicknamed Premier League II – with £3m prize money for the champions. (Daily Mirror)

Coach Gary Neville could face problems at Valencia by linking up with the England squad next week for the international friendlies this month while the Spanish club continues to struggle. (Guardian)

Lazio forward Keita Balde Diao, 21, has revealed his ambition is “to play for the best teams in the world such as Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United.”(La Lazio Siamo Noi)

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, 25, looks set for an early QPR exit after Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink said the striker doesn’t fit into his plans. (GetWestLondon)

Related Articles

Your Say