Liverpool will break the bank for Porto teenager Ruben Neves, Arsenal target Jese Rodriguez and Tim Sherwood is in the Villa firing line.
LIVERPOOL TO GO BIG FOR RUBEN NEVES
Liverpool are preparing to make Porto starlet Ruben Neves the best paid teenager in world football, according to the Mirror.
Midfielder Neves, 18, has been tracked by Europe’s big guns for some time, but Liverpool have made an informal approach and that has been welcomed by the player’s ‘entourage’, claims the paper.
Despite only being at the helm for under a week and claiming new signings are not his priority at the moment, new boss Jurgen Klopp has reportedly already sanctioned a move for Neves, who played 37 times for Porto last season, and is a regular for Portugal’s Under-21 side.
If the defensive midfielder is being watched by all of Europe’s elite – like we are led to believe – then it would be a huge coup if Liverpool could lure him to Anfield…and very unlikely too.
SHERWOOD IN THE FIRING LINE TODAY?
‘Tim Sherwood’s future as Aston Villa manager remains uncertain today’ reads the Daily Mail’s exclusive.
The tabloid goes on to ‘reveal’ that ‘Randy Lerner met senior staff in America last week’ in an ‘already in the diary’ meeting.
Basically – it was international week and Villa officials had a meeting with the club’s owner after winning just one game all season. Sherwood is obviously under pressure after just the opening-day win at Bournemouth under his belt.
Over the weekend reports suggested he had two games to save his job – away at Chelsea and at home to Swansea – and that might well be the case, but we’re quite sure he will get through ‘today’ as Villa boss.
ARSENAL TO SNUB CARVALHO, BUT EYE RODRIGUEZ
Arsenal are reportedly set to steer clear of Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho in January.
It was reported that Carvalho was on Arsene Wenger’s summer shopping list, but a stress fracture of the tibia prevented Wenger from making a move and he will not revisit the situation in the winter window, according to Goal.
But one player Arsenal are keeping track of is Real Madrid forward Jese Rodriguez, according to talkSPORT.
The 22-year-old’s agent Gines Carvajal is drumming up trade on his player, who is also believed to be interesting Chelsea.
“He needs to play more, that’s the best way to keep his spirits up,” Carvajal told Marca.
“The club will have to make a decision. He’s training well, he’s strong and has to seize the opportunity when it comes.”
AND THE REST
- New Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce is keen on signing Charlie Austin in January (Express).
- PSG are ready to move for Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, if current manager Laurent Blanc fails to win the Champions League this season (Express).
- Manuel Pellegrini has been told he must deliver success on the pitch to match the progress mega-rich Manchester City have made off it (Various).
- The heart of Roy Hodgson’s England backroom staff fear they will lose their jobs after the European Championship next summer, in wide-ranging changes that could see experienced physiotherapists, masseurs, sports scientists and even kit men moved on (Telegraph).
- Chelsea offered more than the £36m Manchester United paid Monaco for striker Anthony Martial, 19, but the France international moved to Old Trafford as he dreamed of playing for the Red Devils (Daily Mail).
- Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez, 26, has pledged his immediate future to the club, despite reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid (Daily Star).
- Sunderland are unlikely to move for £10m Besiktas midfielder Oguzhan Ozyakup, 22, despite the Turkey international being linked with the club (Sunderland Echo).