Paper Talk: Man Utd to offer Mata as bait, Chelsea snubbed

Date published: Sunday 10th July 2016 10:11

Juan Mata: Set to be shunted out of Man Utd

Juan Mata: Set to be shunted out of Man Utd

Manchester United will offer Juan Mata to Juventus as bait for Paul Pogba, while Real Madrid have told Chelsea how much Alvaro Morata will cost.


Many feared for Juan Mata’s future when Jose Mourinho was appointed as Manchester United manager. Those fears look set to be realised, with the Spaniard being linked with an Old Trafford exit in a number of the Sunday papers.

With Mourinho desperate to bring in Paul Pogba, The People and the Sunday Express claim Mata could be used as bait in a package worth around £100million.

Juventus are in the market for a playmaker, with Alexis Sanchez said to be their main target. Mata is reportedly of interest to the Serie A champions, but they would prefer a straight cash deal for Pogba.

Reports elsewhere say Mata is settled in the north-west, which could be good news for Everton. Ronald Koeman admitted a deal is possible, a line which is also carried by the Sunday Express.


Alvaro Morata: Chelsea and Arsenal want him



Chelsea have been rebuffed with their opening approach for Alvaro Morata.

According to the Mail on Sunday, Real Madrid are demanding a whopping £64million for the striker.

Morata was brought back to Madrid this summer from Juventus after the Champions League winners activated their £26million buy-back option on the striker. Real are now said to be demanding a fee that would net them a 150 per cent profit on the 23-year-old.

Morata’s agent, Juanma Lopez, was at Real’s Bernabeu offices on Friday to discuss Chelsea’s opening proposal. Arsenal are also in hot pursuit and Manchester United are said to have registered an interest.


Georginio Wijnaldum


Georginio Wijnaldum is seemingly getting more expensive by the day…

Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham are all in the race for the Holland international, with reports on Friday suggesting that Newcastle would only sell for £25million.

According to the Sunday People, that figure has now risen to closer to £30million as interest in the midfielder hots up. Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez was said to be  willing to accept a swap deal with Liverpool involving Jordon Ibe plus around £10million cash, but Bournemouth’s £15million bid for the Liverpool winger appears to have scuppered that possibility.

Everton and Liverpool are also said to be in competition for Axel Witsel, with the Sunday People also reporting that Chelsea have made a bid to snatch the Zenit midfielder.



Crystal Palace have put a £28m price tag on Yannick Bolasie with Tottenham, West Ham and Everton all chasing him. (Daily Mail)

Manchester City will have to bid £17million for Torino defender Bruno Peres. City have made contact over the 26-year-old full-back as they consider the futures of Pablo Zabaleta, Aleksandar Kolarov and Gael Clichy. (Daily Mail)

Carlos Bacca wants to become West Ham’s best-paid player alongside Dimitri Payet if he signs for them this summer. (Daily Mail)

Newcastle are making an improved £4m bid for Blackburn Rovers defender Grant Hanley after having two offers turned down so far. (Daily Mail)

Arjen Robben dismissed talk that he may leave Bayern Munich this summer and insisted ‘it’s the same story every year.’ (Daily Mail)

Manchester City are ready to allow highly-rated full-back Ashley Smith-Brown go out on loan this week. (Daily Mail)

Sunderland have pulled out of a move for Inter Milan full-back Davide Santon after he refused to accept a clause in his contract to reduce his wages should they be relegated. (Daily Mail)

Fulham are giving a trial to former QPR midfielder Alejandro Faurlin. (Daily Mail)

Jurgen Klinsmann is free to rescue England from their Euro 2016 nightmare as the USA won’t fight to keep him. (Sunday People)

Chelsea have made a late bid to snatch Axel Witsel from under the noses of Everton and Liverpool. (Sunday People)

Tottenham have emerged as surprise contenders in the race for Germany star Mario Gotze. (Sunday Mirror)

Jurgen Klopp wants to trim his squad down to size before the new season and has revealed that the Reds will consider building a new academy to develop youngsters. (Sunday Mirror)

Pep Guardiola made his peace with Yaya Toure by telling the midfielder that he needs his help to bring Barcelona to Manchester City.  (Sunday Mirror)

Jose Mourinho will axe EIGHT players as he tries to land Juventus’ Paul Pogba. (The Sun on Sunday)

Pep Guardiola is growing impatient with £40million transfer target Leroy Sane – and has told the Germany international to make his mind over a move to the Manchester City. (The Sun on Sunday)

Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund and Fenerbahce are all chasing Barcelona midfielder Arda Turan. (The Sun on Sunday)

Blaise Matuidi insists he’s solely focused on helping France win Euro 2016 after being linked with a move to Manchester United. (The Sun on Sunday)

Jurgen Klinsmann is in talks with the FA over the England manager’s job. (Daily Star)

Tottenham have opened talks with Bayern Munich over a potential move for Mario Gotze this summer. (Sunday Express)

Real Madrid have told Chelsea and Arsenal they will have to pay £50m to land Spain international striker Alvaro Morata. (Sunday Express)

Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic is still high on Juventus’ wanted list. (Sunday Express)

Leicester midfielder N’Golo Kante could be the latest Premier League star to be lured by China’s footballing revolution. (Sunday Express)

Arsenal have told Juventus Alexis Sanchez is not for sale – despite the Serie A champions thinking they had met the club’s valuation of the forward, Juve’s president claims. (Sunday Express)

Related Articles

Your Say