Paper Talk: Mata in United talks; Chelsea eye £25m defender

Date published: Tuesday 27th September 2016 8:15

Michael Keane: Regularly linked to Chelsea

Michael Keane: Regularly linked to Chelsea

Juan Mata is one of three players in talks over a new deal at Manchester United, while Chelsea have identified the £25m defender they see as John Terry’s long-term replacement, according to Tuesday’s newspapers.

 

NEW DEAL FOR MATA

Juan Mata: Hoping for new United deal

Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata, 28, has held talks with manager Jose Mourinho over a new contract and is “desperate” to stay at the club.

The Spain international has two years left on his current £130,000-a-week deal at Old Trafford, which he signed upon his arrival from Chelsea in January 2014.

The former Valencia ace is believed to be settled in the Manchester area and is happy with life in England.

A United source is reported to have told The Sun: “There have been talks, but Juan is still in the dark over his future at the club.

“He is desperate to stay and likes his life in the Manchester area. It is all down to Jose’s decision now.

“United don’t want to leave this one rumbling though and are keen to sort it before the New Year.”

United’s bid to tie Mata down to a new deal comes despite claims the club are keen to bring Isco to Old Trafford in January.

It’s also been claimed that Mourinho has also held contract talks with Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard, with new deals expected to be announced soon.

 

CHELSEA MAKE KEANE THEIR TOP JANUARY TARGET

Michael Keane: Still wanted by Leicester

Chelsea are set to launch a £25m bid for Michael Keane in a bid to solve their defensive crisis after making the Burnley star one of their top targets.

Stamford Bridge boss Antonio Conte has identified centre-half Keane as the man to address his side’s costly shortcomings at the back, claims the Daily Mirror.

Chelsea are understood to have made a preliminary enquiry about Keane, who was wanted by Premier League champions Leicester in the summer.

Burnley rejected several bids from Leicester, with the Foxes failing with a final offer of £15million for the 23-year-old, who began his career at Manchester United and was allowed to leave last year for £2m.

But Chelsea are confident they can succeed where Leicester failed, with Keane set to be offered an improved contract by Burnley in a bid to keep him at Turf Moor.

The paper claims Chelsea see Keane as the ideal long-term replacement for John Terry, who could retire at the end of the season.

Keane, who has two years left on his current deal, helped Burnley to promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt last season and has been in demand since.

 

AND THE REST

Slaven Bilic: Consulted with Payet over Ayew deal

England manager Sam Allardyce could be in hot water with the FA following a sting by undercover reporters from the Daily Telegraph

Mamadou Sakho has escaped a serious punishment from Liverpool following his outburst on social media, but Jurgen Klopp has told the Frenchman he will only play if there is a serious injury crisis (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal are sweating over the fitness of Francis Coquelin after he limped off in the win over Chelsea (Daily Mirror)

Jurgen Klopp has played down Liverpool’s title chances despite bookmakers making the Reds second-favourites to Man City (Sky Sports)

Toby Alderweireld insists Tottenham can cope with intimidating atmosphere in Russia ahead of CSKA Moscow clash (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United’s Jose Mourinho will go head to head with AC Milan for Real Madrid playmaker Isco which could see captain Wayne Rooney fall further down the pecking order (The Sun)

Former USA boss Bob Bradley has had talks with Swansea supremo Huw Jenkins about becoming the Welsh club’s new manager (The Sun)

West Ham news boss Slaven Bilic has just three games to save his job as he nears the axe following Sunday’s Southampton hammering (The Sun)

 

First Premier League manager to lose their job this season?

  • Tony Pulis
  • Mark Hughes
  • David Moyes
  • Slaven Bilic
  • Francesco Guidolin

 

Stoke will continue to support manager Mark Hughes, despite the club failing to win any of their first six league games of the season and sitting 19th in the table (Daily Mirror)

Steve McClaren has turned down the chance to go back to struggling QPR – in case it puts extra pressure on his pal Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (The Sun)

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will reportedly splash the cash to overhaul the Blues squad if they fail to compete for major honours this season (Daily Express)

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte could make a January move for Tottenham full-back Ben Davies, 23, who has failed to hold down a regular place at White Hart Lane (ESPN)

Sunderland are reportedly interested in signing Liverpool flop Joao Teixeira on loan from Porto (Daily Express)

Team GB Olympic hero Mo Farah has said he’d love to become the fitness coach at Arsenal (Daily Star)

West Ham have been offered former AC Milan defender Kevin Constant, who is available on a free transfer (Daily Star)

Patrick Bamford has apologised to Chelsea supporters after the on-loan striker made a social media faux pas by ‘liking’ Arsenal duo Mesut Ozil and Hector Bellerin’s Instagram photographs celebrating the win over the Blues (Daily Mail)

Southampton’s vaunted academy is watching teenage ‘street’ games in inner-city London as they bid to find the next big talent to roll off their production line (Daily Mail)

Tottenham’s global coaching team will use the same techniques as at the club’s north London academy to provide 42 physical education teachers an insight into coaching at the elite level. In turn those newly-trained teachers will work with 8,000 primary and middle school students in Guangzhou (Daily Mail)

Joey Barton was once tricked into believing that Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign him for Manchester United, the player’s new autobiography reveals (The Independent)

Related Articles

Your Say