Paper Talk: Mourinho to get £300m; identifies top United target

Date published: Saturday 20th February 2016 8:50

Jose Mourinho: Resigned to not getting the job

A review of the Louis van Gaal talk in the papers, Jose Mourinho will get £300million to spend when he takes over at Manchester United and he has identified his top target.

VAN GAAL THIS, VAN GAAL THAT…

Louis van Gaal has three games “to prevent his distinguished managerial career from ending in the sack”, claim the Daily Express.

They also suggest the Dutchman is on a time bomb. If he is then it has the longest fuse known to man.

Senior figures at Old Trafford think executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward shoudl have sacked Van Gaal weeks ago, according to the Daily Mail.

The Sun and The Mirror claim that Woodward was sent into panic mode on Friday when he got wind of the fact that Jose Mourinho was going to Inter Milan to watch the weekend’s game with Sampdoria.

Woodward “made a frantic call”, say The Sun, while it was a “desperate SOS call” in The Mirror with Woodward asking whether Mourinho would take over before the end of the season.

And finally the Daily Star Van Gaal will avoid the sack for now as United don’t have anyone ready to replace him.

 

MOURINHO TO GET £300m TO SPEND; LAPORTE TOP TARGET

Spanish paper Sport says Manchester United have contacted Athletic Bilbao about signing defender Aymeric Laporte, 21, this summer.

The Daily Star continues “it’s understood that United bigwigs are ready to give Mourinho a £300m warchest and the charismatic boss has made Laporte a priority”.

(It’s worth baring in mind that is the same publication that has also claimed Van Gaal will avoid the axe as United don’t have anyone to replace him).

Barcelona are also believed to be interested in the player but they are not willing to meet his£39million release clause.

 

AND THE REST

Juventus have joined Man Utd in the race for Benfica starlet Renato Sanches, 18. (Gazetta World)

Chelsea interim boss Guus Hiddink has spoken to midfielder Eden Hazard, 25, about his future and insists the Belgium international does not want to leave. (London Evening Standard)

Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, 22, has admitted he would love to work with incoming Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola. (Sky Sports Deutschland)

Guardiola wants to bring Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos, 26, to Manchester City in the summer. (AS)

Guardiola is also set to bring winger Douglas Costa, 25, with him from Bayern Munich. (Globo Esporte)

Mario Balotelli could be the latest name to make the move to the Chinese Super League with clubs keen to sign the 25-year-old striker who is on loan at AC Milan from Liverpool. However, Turkey could also be a possible destination. (Liverpool Echo)

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino will warn midfielder Dele Alli to curb his temper after admitting the 19-year-old has a “naughty” streak.

Sunderland failed in a bid for Fiorentina striker Khouma Babacar, 22, last month, the player’s agent confirmed. (Newcastle Chronicle)

Arsenal have been told they have ‘no chance’ of signing Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain, 28, this summer. (London Evening Standard)

Liverpool are looking to tie up a lucrative £90m naming rights deal for Anfield’s new main stand. (Liverpool Echo)

Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn says he would like to see a Champions League spot for the FA Cup winners as part of reforms for the competition. (Guardian)

Some senior officials at struggling Aston Villa have hired bodyguards, and players have been banned from leaving the ground until at least an hour after the final whistle to avoid clashes with fans, a former employee has revealed. (Daily Mirror)

Related Articles

Your Say