Paper Talk: Jose’s Man United war chest; Reds transfer blow

Date published: Monday 25th April 2016 7:54

Jose Mourinho: Reportedly set to be announced tonight

Jose Mourinho will be given £300m to spend at Manchester United in the summer while Bayern Munich appear to have beaten Liverpool to Mats Hummels, according to Monday’s newspapers.

MOURINHO GIVEN BUMPER BUDGET

Jose Mourinho will be allocated £300m in transfer funds this summer to help overhaul the Manchester United team for a Premier League title challenge, writes the Daily Star.

Louis van Gaal has struggled to impress at Old Trafford despite having spent over £250m during his reign as manager, but the Manchester United board are said to be not frightened about continuing to splash the cash in order to recapture their form of old.

Following reports that Mourinho will be announced as the Red Devils’ new manager within the next two weeks, he is thought to have drawn up a star-studded shortlist which would send out a huge statement to their rivals.

PSG duo Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Edinson Cavani, Barcelona superstar Neymar, Bayern Munich forward Thomas Muller, the much sought-after Paul Pogba and Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane are all reported to be Mourinho’s top transfer targets.

The Sun have also suggested that £39m of the budget will be spent on Benfica’s highly-rated midfielder Renato Sanches, 18, who shares the same agent with Mourinho.

REDS TO MISS OUT ON HUMMELS

Mats Hummels, Dortmund

The Daily Star have also dashed any hope of a potential reunion between Borussia Dortmund centre-back Mats Hummels and Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, who is ‘stunned’ by his decision to snub the Reds in favour of a move to Bayern Munich.

The 27-year-old is a product of Bayern Munich’s youth academy and appears to have unfinished with the reigning Bundesliga champions after failing to break into the first team.

The report claims that Klopp was keen on signing Hummels for a second time in his managerial career having turned his initial loan spell with Borussia Dortmund into a permanent move back in 2009 – but the German international has apparently agreed an £8m-a-year deal with the Bavarians in a £24m switch.

AND THE REST

Roberto Martinez Everton

Everton have already drawn up a shortlist of replacements for under-fire boss Roberto Martinez (Daily Star)

AC Milan want to sign Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli on a permanent deal in the summer. The 25-year-old is on a season-long loan at the Italian club (La Gazzetta dello Sport, via Daily Mail)

Tottenham will make another attempt to sign 22-year-old West Brom striker Saido Berahino in the summer. Spurs had four bids rejected for Berahino last year (Daily Star)

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere, 24, will be in England’s Euro 2016 squad, even though his six-minute substitute appearance on Sunday against Sunderland was the first time he has played this season. (Sun)

Wayne Rooney, 30, is ready to drop into midfield on a permanent basis – and become Manchester United’s new Paul Scholes (Daily Mirror)

Former England midfielder Jamie Redknapp says Arsene Wenger has ‘brainwashed’ Arsenal fans into thinking a fourth-placed finish in the Premier League is good enough (Sky Sports)

Swansea boss Francesco Guidolin says the Swans can fight for a Champions League place next season (South Wales Evening Post)

Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho, 19, says it would be ‘a dream come true’ if he featured in his side’s Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid this week (Talksport)

Related Articles

Your Say

teamtalk323