Paper Talk: Neymar and Pato claim United approach

Date published: Friday 25th September 2015 7:52

Andrea Ranocchia, Neymar and Daniele Rugani discussed in Friday's Paper Talk

Andrea Ranocchia, Neymar and Daniele Rugani discussed in Friday's Paper Talk

Neymar and Alexandre Pato were approached by Manchester United; Everton and Spurs want Andrea Ranocchia; and Arsenal are targeting Daniele Rugani.


Barcelona striker Neymar and his fellow Brazilian Alexandre Pato have both claimed they were the subject of approaches by Manchester United this summer.

Neymar told ESPN that he did hold talks with United this summer, although no official offers were made.

Any deal would have smashed the world transfer record and Neymar was understood to be considering a switch to Old Trafford.

And now the Brazilian has admitted he did speak to the club – although a bid failed to materialise.

“We had conversations, but there was nothing concrete,” he said.

“I heard that there were offers but none were made to me.”

Neymar is expected to open contract talks with Barca over doubling his salary to over £200,000-a-week – making him the club’s second-highest paid player.

Pato, meanwhile, says he had “a really good offer from Manchester United” on transfer deadline day to move to the Premier League.

The striker, 26, who plays for Sao Paulo, made the revelation on TV in his homeland.

“I won’t lie: two hours before the deadline I had a really good offer from Manchester United,” the 26-year-old revealed on Brazilian television.

“I was expecting it, but actually only found out about it afterwards.”

Pato is owned by Corinthians, who remain keen to cash in on his impressive recent form at the end of the year.

The forward, though, would prefer to extend his loan spell at Sao Paulo beyond December.

“My focus is here,” he added. “I’d love to stay.”



Everton and Tottenham Hotspur are considered the front-runners for the signature of Inter Milan club captain Andrea Ranocchia.

The 27-year-old defender is reported to have fallen out with Inter boss Roberto Mancini.

The centre-back was Inter’s captain last season, but has now fallen so far down the pecking order that Gary Medel is moved into defence instead.

Ranocchia managed all of 42 minutes in five rounds this season and is clearly not part of Mancini’s plans.

According to the Daily Star, a move to England is in the offing with Tottenham and Everton both interested.

Ranocchia had already been linked with a summer switch to the Premier League for West Ham United, but wanted to fight for his place at San Siro.



Arsenal are believed to be lining up a £13m move for Juventus defender Daniele Rugani in January.

They reportedly attempted to sign the 21-year-old Italian over the summer window but Juve turned them down, reports the Daily Express in reports initially attributed to Calciomercato.

Rugani, an Italy U21 international, spent last season on loan at Empoli where he made 38 appearances.

He is yet to appear for Juventus this term and Juventus would be willing to listen to offers with a January sale looking likely.



– Anthony Martial’s agent claims Arsene Wenger missed out on the chance to sign the 19-year-old Frenchman who moved to Manchester United in August. Philippe Lamboley said of Wenger: “In football, there are those who follow players and those who buy them.” (Daily Star)

– Thomas Muller is Bayern Munich’s equivalent of Lionel Messi or Wayne Rooney, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has said. The Bayern CEO made the comments while issuing yet another warning that the German forward was not for sale at any price (Daily Mail)

– Manchester United are looking to bolster their defence in January with the addition of Valencia full-back Jose Luis Gaya (Daily Mail)

– Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley will back under-fire manager Steve McClaren who is expected to be given money to spend during the January transfer window (Daily Telegraph)

– Newcastle want to loan out exciting young winger Rolando Aarons (Daily Mirror)

-Watford have turned down the chance to have Emmanuel Adebayor train with them (Daily Mirror)

– Manchester City are close to agreeing a deal for former Brisbane Roar midfielderLuke Brittan, but they will loan the 25-year-old out again if he does sign. (Brisbane Courier Mail)

– Liverpool striker Divock Origi may be heading out on loan in January, with Norwich, Stuttgart and Bordeaux mentioned as possible potential destinations (Daily Star)

– Bolton want to take Charlton striker Igor Vetokele on loan (Daily Mirror)

– Ronald Koeman has challlenged Gaston Ramirez to prove he can still have a future at Southampton (Daily Star)

– Curtis Davies will snub a January move to Everton in order to stay at Hull (Daily Star)

– Quique Flores has persuaded Spanish midfielder Fran Montavez, 19, to swap Real Madrid for Watford (Daily Star)


Related Articles

Your Say


Comments are closed here.