Paper Talk: Ozil set for new deal amid Real Madrid return talk

Date published: Sunday 13th December 2015 7:48

Mesut Özil: Not committing future with Gunners yet

Mesut Özil: Not committing future with Gunners yet

Arsenal are to hand Mesut Ozil a new deal amid claims he’s wanted back at Real Madrid, Everton want Calum Chambers as a potential John Stones replacement, while Manchester United are eyeing Paris Saint-Germain academy forward Odsonne Edouard.



Mesut Ozil and Arsenal are close to agreeing a new contract worth a staggering £51.5m, according to various reports on Sunday morning.

Ozil’s scintillating form for Arsenal this season has led to reports that the Germany midfielder will be rewarded with a bumper new contract, with the club-record £42.5 million paid to Real Madrid in 2013 now looking a steal.

The trouble is that Madrid seem to think so too, with Don Balon reporting that Los Blancos would consider re-signing the World Cup winner should James Rodriguez seek an exit from the Bernabeu amid claims of a bust-up with manager Rafa Benitez.

The Spanish outlet suggests that Madrid would be keen to bring back Ozil if they can settle on a reasonable price with Arsenal, and believe the playmaker now has the “maturity and consistency” they felt he lacked in Spain the first time around.



Everton boss Roberto Martinez is keeping tabs on Calum Chambers’ situation at Arsenal as he prepares for the potential £50million sale of John Stones.

Chambers has featured in less than half of the fixtures the Gunners have played this season, with Hector Bellerin keeping him out at right-back and Per Mertesacker, Laurent Koscielny and Gabriel Paulista all ahead of him in the centre.

Chambers and Mathieu Debuchy have to battle it out for a start when Bellerin is missing – and when Debuchy is fit – and Martinez is aware that a lack of game-time for the 20-year-old could open up the possibility of a move.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger said last week that, while Chambers was signed as a defender from Southampton, in the long term he always believed his best position would be defensive midfield.

Martinez, however, likes him as a defender and will monitor his position at the north London club.

The Goodison Park manager knows he will lose Stones at some point, and the Sunday People claims he sees Chambers as a potential replacement.

Chelsea, Manchester United and Barcelona have all been linked with Stones, with Everton unlikely to stand in his way if a bid in excess of £45million is made.



Manchester United are planning to make a move for Paris Saint-Germain academy forward Odsonne Edouard.

Edouard, 17, was top scorer at this summer’s European Under-17 Championship and scored a magnificent hat-trick for France in the final versus Germany.

The Sunday Express says the Red Devils scouted Edouard as PSG beat Shakhtar Donetsk 5-2 in the Uefa Youth League on Tuesday and are set to pounce if the teenager turns down a new deal with the Ligue 1 giants.

It’s understood Liverpool are also keeping tabs on the highly-rated youngster.



  • Carlo Ancelotti is being lined up to replace Andre Villas-Boas at Zenit St Petersburg (The Sun)
  • Manchester United and City have been dealt a Pep Guardiola blow as Bayern Munich manager’s wife doesn’t fancy a move to the north west of England (Sunday Mirror)
  • Former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has been sounded out by Bayern Munich as the German giants prepare for life after Pep Guardiola (Sunday Express)
  • Pep Guardiola is reportedly eyeing up a stunning move for Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez as his first Manchester City signing (Sunday Express)
  • Leicester are looking at a surprise £2m January move for AC Milan star Nigel de Jong (The People)
  • Branislav Ivanovic is hoping a Chelsea revival will boost his chances of staying at Stamford Bridge (Sunday Mirror)
  • Simon Mignolet set to sign new Liverpool deal after a massive vote of confidence form Jurgen Klopp (Daily Star Sunday)
  • Manchester United will give Ryan Giggs fresh assurances that he is still in line to become their next manager (Sunday Mirror)
  • Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has ruled out the possibility of Diego Costa returning to his former club in January (Sunday Express)
  • Fulham prepared to offer sacked Swansea boss Garry Monk an immediate route back into management (Sunday Telegraph)
  • Swansea City reportedly hope to install their new manager before their next home match against West Ham United on 20 December (Sunday Independent)
  • Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce has his eyes on £6million French striker Sebastien Haller. Haller, 21, is the tallest target man in Dutch football, having scored 22 goals in 28 games in only 11 months for FC Utrecht (Sunday Mirror)

Related Articles

Your Say