Paper Talk: Ozil to stay; Gray and Thauvin may go

Date published: Thursday 24th September 2015 7:38

Mesut Ozil: Reportedly set to be offered new contract by Arsenal

Mesut Ozil: Reportedly set to be offered new contract by Arsenal

Arsenal to offer Mesut Ozil a new deal, Demarai Gray available for £3.5m and Barca tracking Florent Thauvin are among Thursday’s rumours.


Arsenal could offer Mesut Ozil a new contract, claims the Daily Mirror, as Arsene Wenger holds a ‘major review of first-team contracts’ at Emirates Stadium.

Nacho Monreal has already been offered a new three-year deal to commit his future to the club, and now the Gunners apparently want to tie Ozil down, presumably to ward off interest from Fenerbahce.

Ozil’s agent confirmed the Turkish club’s interest in the playmaker on Tuesday but added that his client was happy at Arsenal, providing the club were happy with him.

“Fenerbahce wants to sign Mesut Ozil, but the main thing is he wants to stay at the Emirates Stadium,” Erkut Sogut said.

“Arsenal will make a decision at the end of the season.

“If Arsenal agrees to the transfer, Fenerbahce will be a serious option for us.”

It appears Arsenal have no intention of allowing Ozil to leave, however, and will look to extend a contract that already runs until the summer of 2018.


Demarai Gray can leave Birmingham for just £3.5million in January, according to the Daily Star.

Bournemouth had offers in excess of £5million for Gray rejected over the summer, while Liverpool were said to have an option to match any offer, but the Championship club held firm after the 19-year-0ld put pen to paper on a new contract at St Andrew’s.

It is now claimed, however, that the deal contains a buy-out clause that allows him to leave for £3.5million in the winter transfer window – and only £3million next summer, which is sure to attract plenty of Premier League interest.


Barcelona are continuing to monitor Leicester winger Riyad Mahrez – and are also keeping an eye on Newcastle’s Florian Thauvin. That, at least, is according to Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo.

Barca sold Pedro to Chelsea over the summer and last week lost Rafinha to a cruciate ligament injury, leaving them short in wide areas, hence it is claimed Luis Enrique is monitoring two somewhat surprising targets.

The Mahrez link first emerged last month, but Thauvin only joined Newcastle from Marseille in the summer yet could be offered the chance to move clubs yet again in January if reports of Barca’s interest is genuine.


  • Arsenal made discreet inquiries about signing Robert Lewandowski in the summer (Daily Mail)
  • Arsenal will make a bid of around £13m for Juventus defender Daniele Rugani in January (Calciomercato)
  • Chelsea are willing to spend £14.5million on Barcelona full-back Dani Alves (Fichajes)

Related Articles

Your Say


Comments are closed here.