Real Madrid hope to be able to bring Jose Mourinho back to replace ‘fourth-choice’ Rafael Benitez, while Barcelona eye Diego Costa and Dirk Kurt.
REAL SWEET ON MOURINHO RETURN
Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon claims the Spanish giants will try to bring Jose Mourinho back to the Bernabeu if Chelsea opt to sack their manager.
Calderon says Florentino Perez wanted Mourinho back this summer but the Portuguese declined the offer, preferring to stay at Chelsea. However, the Blues are currently in the midst of their worst ever Premier League start and Roman Abramovich is said to be losing patience.
If the Russian oligarch opts to dismiss Mourinho for a second time, then Real will pounce, according to Calderon, who also says Rafael Benitez was only fourth choice when he was given the job in the summer.
Apparently, Mourinho, Joachim Low and Jurgen Klopp all turned down there opportunity before Real turned to Benitez.
KUYT ON BARCA RADAR
Dirk Kuyt is reportedly on the list of attacking players Barcelona have targeted to bolster their squad in January.
The Catalans are under a transfer embargo until the New Year, with Luis Enrique desperate to add to his ranks after Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Sergi Roberto have all suffered injuries recently.
Spanish paper Sport 35-year-old Kuyt is on a 20-strong list of targets. Yes, 20. Which is pretty much just a list of the in-form attackers in Europe right now.
Kuyt would certainly fall into that category. The former Liverpool forward has bagged 10 goals in 10 games for Feyenoord and is expected to be recalled to the Holland squad.
Celta Vigo forward Nolito is understood to be Enrique’s first choice, but he may have to wait until next summer to bring the 29-year-old to the Nou Camp.
CATALANS COURT COSTA TOO
Diego Costa is also said to be a primary target for Barca.
Don Balon reports that Enrique would love to build his attack around Costa, with Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar all buzzing around the Chelsea hit-man.
There were widespread reports in the summer that Costa wanted a return to Spain, and Barca may see the uncertainty at Chelsea as the ideal time to make their move.
AND THE REST
– Real Madrid are willing to bring Jose Mourinho back to the Bernabeu if he is sacked by Chelsea. (Daily Star & Express)
– Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford admits he is “upset’ and frustrated by his failure to break into the Crystal Palace first team. (Daily Express)
– Mauricio Pochettino has laughed at fresh speculation linking Harry Kane to Manchester United. (Daily Express)
– Aston Villa caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald has indicated Remi Garde could be appointed in time to sit in the stands at Tottenham on Monday. (Daily Mail)
– Sam Allardyce believes Jack Rodwell is paying the price for joining Manchester City and has called on the midfielder to work harder in a bid to rescue his career, warning that Sunderland can’t carry him. (Daily Mail)
– Emmanuel Adebayor, released by Tottenham last month, is wanted by clubs in Turkey, Brazil and Qatar. (The Sun)
– Kevin Nolan is not a target for Rangers. The midfielder, 33, has been searching for a new club since his release from West Ham earlier this season. (The Sun)
– Kelechi Iheanacho has revealed he came close to snubbing Manchester City – as he had set his heart on a move to Porto. (The Sun)
– Rafael Benitez and Carlo Cudicini are among the sports stars who could face fines of tens of thousands of pounds after investing in a controversial scheme which is now under investigation by HMRC. (Daily Telegraph)