A move to London could be on the cards for unsettled Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge, while Chelsea are preparing a huge bid to lure one of the hottest talents in world football, according to Wednesday’s papers.
TOTTENHAM PLAN HUGE STURRIDGE SWOOP
Tottenham are considering a move for Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge, 27, in the January transfer window.
According to Bleacher Report, Tottenham saw a move for the striker blocked in the summer after the Reds refused to budge from their £40million valuation. But his lack of playing time at Anfield this season means Liverpool could now sell for around £28million – and they claim Spurs are ready to reignite their interest.
However, it is claimed the England striker would be open to a move to London, where he has previously played for Chelsea.
Sturridge has struggled to make much of an impact for the Reds this season.
He has made eight Premier League appearances but all four of his goals have come in the EFL Cup. He has also been forced to defend himself from accusations that he is lazy, with former Liverpool player and manager Graeme Souness claiming the player’s ‘lax attitude would prevent him ever reaching his potential’.
Souness said: “Sturridge has that quality, but what he does not have, and which all successful teams want, is a work ethic,” he writes in the Sunday Times.
“That explains why two big clubs, Manchester City and Chelsea, have let him go and why he is now not in the starting team at a third big club, Liverpool. There have been some good judges who have doubts about him.
“Sturridge is 27 now and I would suggest he’s not going to fulfil his potential. He either cannot maintain physically, because of his well-documented injuries, or does not want to mentally put in the shift as a team player that Jurgen Klopp demands.”
Sturridge still has two-and-a-half years left to run on his contract at Anfield.
He has made 102 appearances for the club since his arrival from Chelsea in 2013, scoring 57 goals in the process.
CHELSEA CHASE DEAL FOR TEENAGE MILAN STAR
Chelsea are set to offer AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma a huge salary increase to move to the Premier League.
The 17-year-old is regarded as one of the hottest prospects in world football and has already become a regular between the sticks for Milan, having made 43 appearances for the club.
He’s also already earned a senior Italy cap.
Milan reportedly value the youngster at €60million – but that is not expected to put off the likes of Chelsea, according to reports in Italy.
SportMediaset claim Milan, however, are struggling to tie him down to a new long-term deal and reportedly want him to sign before his 18th birthday in February.
The report says the Blues will offer the teenager a £65,000-a-week contract, which is said to be double what he currently earns at Milan.
Donnarumma and his agent Mino Raiola are reportedly locked in talks with the Italian club and have refused all recent offers.
Milan’s new Chinese owners Sino-Europe have made Donnarumma’s new deal a priority, but Raiola is well aware of the interest in his client and is holding out for the best possible deal.
Should Donnarumma move to Chelsea, it is likely he will become first-choice goalkeeper, replacing current No 1 Thibaut Courtois.
SportMediaset also claim Courtois is keen on a return to Spain where he spent three successful years on loan with Atletico Madrid.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail claims Donnarumma is the natural heir to Gianluigi Buffon and have made signing him their ‘next objective’, while other reports suggest Borussia Dortmund are also planning a move.
AND THE REST
Arsene Wenger is weighing up a January swoop for Argentine midfielder Leandro Paredes from Roma (The Sun)
Manchester United and RB Leipzig are chasing Chelsea whiz-kid Reece James (The Sun)
Wales manager Chris Coleman is wanted by two clubs in the Chinese Super League (The Sun)
Chelsea are ready to sell out-of-favour Oscar – and that will put Inter Milan on red alert (Daily Mirror)
John Terry is wanted by Andre Villas-Boas for a reunion in China (Daily Mirror)
Raphael Varane hopes to stay at Real Madrid for the rest of his career, halting talk of a reunion with Jose Mourinho at Manchester United (The Sun)
Barcelona star Ivan Rakitic has snubbed a move to Manchester United (Daily Star)
Manchester City outcast Yaya Toure has been urged to leave the club and consider joining French side Marseille by his brother and ex-Blues defender Kolo (Daily Mirror)
Jan Vertonghen will be the next player to sign a new contract at Tottenham – but will not be in the £100,000-a-week club (Daily Mirror)
Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has entered the race for Charlton starlet Ezri Konsa, joining both Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Arsenal (Daily Mirror)
Simon Mignolet has admitted he’s not happy on the Liverpool bench but has ruled out a January exit (Daily Express)
Aleksandar Mitrovic will turn down Napoli to help fire Newcastle back into the Premier League (Daily Express)
Manchester United are in talks to sign 19-year-old Corinthians defender Guilherme Arana (Daily Star)
Thiago Silva is desperate to sign a contract extension at Paris Saint-Germain (Daily Mail)
Hull are lining up a January move for Lazio midfielder Ravel Morrison. The 23-year-old has made just eight appearances since joining on a free transfer in the summer of 2015 (Daily Mail)
Sunderland manager David Moyes says he will not leave the club to coach Scotland if Gordon Strachan leaves the national job (Daily Star)
Sunderland midfielder Didier Ndong has explained why he was declared absent from international duty and subsequently sent home from Gabon. The 22-year-old says he was caught up in the “euphoria” of his wife giving birth (Newcastle Chronicle)
Chelsea could recall defender Nathan Ake, 21, from his loan spell at Bournemouth because of a lack of playing time (Daily Star)