Paper Talk: United learn cost of early Van Gaal axe; Terry latest

Date published: Tuesday 23rd February 2016 11:39

Louis van Gaal: Likely to stay on until the end of the season

Louis van Gaal: Likely to stay on until the end of the season

Louis van Gaal would be reportedly due £10million in compensation if Manchester United were to sack him now, while John Terry is ready to turn his back on China in favour of a move to the Middle East or the USA, claim Tuesday’s papers.

UNITED FACE £10M BILL FOR EARLY VAN GAAL SACKING

Manchester United face a potential compensation cost of £10million if they sack manager Louis van Gaal now.

United reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup after a comfortable 3-0 win over Shrewsbury on Monday night, but the United boss knows the heat remains very much on and will intensify severely if they’re knocked out of Europe by FC Midtjylland on Thursday.

As such, speculation remains rife that the club could call time on the Dutchman’s reign sooner rather than later.

But The Sun claims Van Gaal would be entitled to a giant pay off worth £10m if they sacked him now – and the board don’t want to pay it.

It means he’s currently safe from the chop, with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward among those not willing to splash out.

A summer exit looks more likely, with a clause in Van Gaal’s contract meaning he could be chopped on the cheap if they miss out on the Champions League.

However, while it’s still mathematically possible this term, Jose Mourinho will have to wait before getting the hot seat.

TERRY TO SNUB CHINA FOR MLS OR QATAR

John Terry: Looking into playing abroad

John Terry is set to snub any mega-money offers to join the Chinese revolution.

Chelsea captain Terry had been earmarked as a top summer target for a number of Chinese clubs after announcing he will leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season.

They have been splashing the cash, with Wayne Rooney a target, and were prepared to pay Terry up to £20m-a-year to move to the Far East.

But defender Terry, 35, is ready to reject any offers from Super League clubs and, instead, the MLS and Qatar are his preferred destinations.

Terry dropped the bombshell news that he wouldn’t be offered a one-year extension at the end of the season, which would bring an end to his 21-year association with the Blues, following their FA Cup tie at MK Dons last month.

Chelsea offered Terry hope when they responded by insisting the “situation could change in the coming months” and “the club will keep the channels of dialogue open.”

However, as it stands, Terry’s mind is understood to have been made up about leaving and he still expects to be on the move at the end of the season.

 

AND THE REST

– Manchester City came closer than any other Premier League side to signing Gianluigi Buffon despite previous interest from Arsenal and Manchester United, the Juventus goalkeeper has said (Daily Mail)

– Nathaniel Clyne says Jurgen Klopp has brought “hunger and desire” back to Liverpool (Daily Mirror)

– Chelsea winger Eden Hazard might have been linked with a move to Paris St-Germain, but the 25-year-old would only think about leaving the Stamford Bridge club to join Real Madrid (Daily Telegraph)

– Luis Suarez has raised the heat ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League clash with Barcelona by claiming it would have been a huge mistake to sign for the Gunners (Daily Express)

– Half of football fans worldwide do not believe FIFA can ever restore its tattered reputation, according to a poll released before this week’s presidential election (The Guardian)

– Tony Pulis looks set to leave West Brom in the summer having been at the club for just over a year (Daily Star)

– Newcastle United could dump Fabricio Coloccini and appoint a surprise new captain with Jonjo Shelvey in the running (Daily Star)

– Dean Holdsworth has saved Bolton and is now ready to turn to old boy Phil Brown to bring back the good times (Daily Star)

– Injured centre-back Gabriel says Arsene Wenger’s men have found a winning formula to shackling Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez (The Sun)

– Lazio president Claudio Lotito said Manchester United have secured a £47m deal for Brazilian midfielder Felipe Anderson, 22, but the club released a statement saying it was untrue (Manchester Evening News)

– Manchester United have sent scouts to Portugal to watch Braga winger Rafa Silva, 22, who has a £15.5m release clause in his contract (A Bola)

– Chelsea have offered their Brazilian attacker Willian a four-year deal worth £120,000 a week amid concern that the club could lose top players if they fail to qualify for Europe (The Times)

– Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri’s agent has ruled out a move away from the Italian club for his client amid interest from Chelsea (Daily Mail)

– Pep Guardiola will consider offering Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta his first full-time coaching post at Manchester City if the 33-year-old decides to end his playing career at the end of this season (The Times)

– Leicester midfielder N’Golo Kante, 24, could get a call-up by France after national team manager Didier Deschamps said “we’re following him” (Leicester Mercury)

Related Articles

Your Say