Manchester United will battle Liverpool for Jorginho, Real Madrid want Alexis Sanchez, while Victor Valdes is open to a switch to Newcastle, say Wednesday’s papers.
UNITED TO BATTLE LIVERPOOL FOR NAPOLI STAR
Manchester United have joined Liverpool in the battle to sign Jorginho from Napoli, according to the Daily Express.
Over the weekend, it had been reported that new Anfield chief Jurgen Klopp was interested in bringing in the defensive midfielder, who has been shining since he was drafted into the Napoli team.
But it is now suggested that United will look to bring the 23-year-old in, as they look for long-term options in the holding midfield position.
Both Premier League clubs could be beaten to his signature by French champions Paris Saint-Germain, who are also reportedly interested.
REAL MADRID TARGET SANCHEZ
Real Madrid are preparing a stunning raid on Arsenal for superstar Alexis Sanchez.
The Gunners are hoping to persuade the player to sign a new deal, which will see his pay increase from his already lucrative £130,000 a week deal, amid Real’s interest.
The Spanish giants are reportedly hoping to offer £37.3m plus Russian winger Denis Cheryshev – or other squad players of their choice – to land the Chilean.
The Gunners will do all they can to retain their star man, with the Daily Star suggesting if Arsene Wenger’s men miss out on Champions League football or fail to recruit more big names in the coming transfer windows, Sanchez could look for a new club.
VALDES OPEN TO NEWCASTLE SWITCH
Victor Valdes is open to a move to Newcastle United as a replacement for the stricken Tim Krul.
The Manchester United goalkeeper has been completely frozen out by Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford and no longer even has a locker at the training ground.
Valdes accepts that his career with Man United is over, but wants to stay in the Premier League and try his luck with another club.
Louis van Gaal is willing to release the former Barcelona keeper to any club that isn’t a direct rival – an attitude which scotched a potential move to Liverpool – but Krul’s season-ending injury has opened up a possibility at St James’ Park.
The Daily Mirror claims sources close to Valdes refused to rule out a move to the North-East as an option, with the veteran just focused on playing first-team football again.
AND THE REST
– West Ham owner David Sullivan insists James Tomkins will NOT be leaving Upton Park for Sunderland (Daily Mail)
– Saido Berahino is to stay at West Brom in January ahead of a possible summer exit. The club have agreed to reconsider the striker’s position at the end of the campaign when he could have just 12 months left on his contract (Daily Mirror)
– Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe has pledged his future to the Premier League new boys. Howe will celebrate the three-year anniversary of his second spell in charge of the Cherries with a daunting trip to Manchester City on Saturday (Daily Star)
– Southampton forgotten man Jordy Clasie is finally ready to make his Premier League bow against Leicester on Saturday – three months after his £8m move from Feyenoord (Daily Star)
– Chelsea are ready to cancel Patrick Bamford’s loan to Crystal Palace amid concerns at lack of first-team action. Striker Bamford has played only 16 minutes Premier League football for the Eagles since joining on a season long deal in the summer (The Sun)
– Matteo Darmian says he didn’t have to think twice about joining Manchester United. Darmian has settled in well under Louis van Gaal and has already established himself as the Dutchman’s first choice right-back (Daily Express)
– Manchester United are in battle with Tottenham to sign goalkeeping prospect Jordan Pickford of Sunderland (Daily Star)