Paper Talk: United’s Bale dream over; Barca scout United target

Date published: Thursday 6th October 2016 8:04

Gelson Martins: Linked with United and Barcelona

Gelson Martins: Linked with United and Barcelona

Manchester United’s dream to lure Gareth Bale to Old Trafford is over, while Barcelona have been watching a United target, all in today’s early gossip.



Gareth Bale: Reportedly signed a new deal

Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale have both signed new contracts at Real Madrid, according to Spanish radio station COPE.

Neither of the deals have been confirmed by the club but the report claims Ronaldo has signed a new deal until 2021, while there are no details of the contract Bale is believed to have signed.

The Daily Express reports that Bale has been offered a £91million deal at Real as an incentive to snub Manchester United next summer.

The news will come as a blow to United, who last month were reported to willing to table a bumper deal worth about £17million a season to lure Bale to Old Trafford next summer.

Reports in Spain claimed United were serious about signing Bale, who was reportedly demanding around £14m-per-year to extend his stay with the Spanish giants.

But according to Sport last month Real were yet to offer the 27-year-old anything more than the £8million he currently earns, until now.

One of the finer details of Bale’s contract will be his buy-out clause and reports last month suggested a figure of €500m (£427m) had been mentioned.


Gelson Martins

Manchester United will have to battle with Barcelona for Sporting Lisbon winger Gelson Martins.

The La Liga giants have been watching the 21-year-old, who has been mentioned as a target for United by the Portuguese publication Record.

Jose Mourinho is believed to have scouted the player, who enjoyed a breakthrough season in Sporting’s first-team last season, but now they will face real competition for the starlet

Barcelona’s international director of sports Ariedo Braida said: “What I can say is that Gelson Martins is being observed by us.”

Gelson’s contract, signed last year, runs until the end of the 2020-21 season and his release clause is reportedly fixed at €60million.

He has started the new campaign with two goals in seven league games.



Isco: Wanted by United to play No 10

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has told head coach Antonio Conte he is prepared to bid more than £60m for Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci, 29. (Daily Telegraph)

Arsenal and Tottenham both want to sign Real Madrid midfielder Isco, 24, who is out of contract in 2018. (Diario Madridista)

Gunners defender Per Mertesacker, 32, is wanted by former side Hannover. (Sun)

Interim boss Mike Phelan is set to be handed the Hull City manager’s job on a permanent basis. (Sun)

Arsenal’s protracted contract negotiations with Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez could cost the club £36m more than they originally budgeted for. (Times)

Brazil midfielder Fernandinho is poised to put pen to paper on a new bumper Manchester City contract. (Mail)

Lyon starlet Corentin Tolisso has admitted he “dreams” of playing for Arsenal. (Mirror)

Napoli chairman Aurelio Du Laurentiis rejected a £50m offer from Chelsea for defender Kalidou Koulibaly, 25, two days before the summer transfer window closed. (Sky Sports)

Arsenal defender Shkodran Mustafi, 24, says he is determined not to be weighed down by an “incredible” price tag following his summer move from Valencia for a fee in excess of £35m. (Daily Mirror)

Interim boss Gareth Southgate is set to earn £500,000 in two months as he sets about helping England out of troubled waters and into the 2018 World Cup in Russia. (Mail)

Alex Iwobi set for a second bumper pay rise this year, while Arsenal move to keep Hector Bellerin from Barcelona. (Mail)

West Ham have an obligation to buy forward Simone Zaza after 10 appearances for the club, according to the 25-year-old’s agent and father. (Tutto Juve)

The Football Association has reminded top agents working in the game of its strict rules on bungs when trying to sign up a player. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United have been “disrespectful” to midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger, 32, according to Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan, 25. (Bild)

West Ham’s vice-chairman Karren Brady insists a move to the London Stadium was a crucial part of “rebranding” the club. (Guardian)

Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata, 23, spoke to several teams before agreeing to rejoin the Spanish side from Juventus this summer. (Cadena Ser)

Defender Matteo Darmian will look to force a move away from Manchester United in January if he does not get more game time, the 26-year-old’s agent says. (Radio Crc)

Darmian could be on his way to Juventus, but only if Switzerland international defender Stephan Lichtsteiner, 32, leaves the Italian champions for Inter Milan. (Tuttomercato)

Liverpool striker Divock Origi, 21, says he has not heard the “rumours” linking him with a move to Juventus. (HLN)

Chelsea forward Tammy Abraham, 18, who is currently on loan at Bristol City, says he found out about his England Under-21 call up from watching television. (Evening Standard)

Related Articles

Your Say