Payet slams Deschamps over France snub

Date published: Monday 14th September 2015 10:22

Dimitri Payet: Hurt in a challenge by Everton's McCarthy

Dimitri Payet: Hurt in a challenge by Everton's McCarthy

West Ham new boy Dimitri Payet says he is not sure what more he can do after he was omitted from the France squad by Didier Deschamps last month.

The Hammers’ playmaker was left out of the party that defeated Portugal and Serbia earlier this month with Deschamps saying he wanted more from the 28-year-old.

“I expect better, I expect more,” Deschamps told L’Equipe last month. He had a very good first game against Arsenal but the next two were not so good. It’s not a punishment, I will continue to follow him as we did in these first three games.”

Payet though is at a loss as to what else he can do after starting life at Upton Park in terrific form.

“I get the impression that it’s harder for some players than others. Honestly I struggle to understand what he really expects from me,” Payet told Canal Plus on Sunday night.

“I have been giving my very best for more than a year and I am maybe in the best form of my career so I don’t understand what more people can expect from me, even if we can always do better.”

Payet, who was the leading assist maker in Ligue 1 last year for Marseille, was included in Deschamps previous squad – the 1-0 friendly defeat to Albania in June. But the attacking midfielder was replaced at half-time by Paul Pogba and Manchester United new boy Morgan Schneiderlin was given the nod and was sub in the 1-0 win over Portugal and started in the 2-1 success against Serbia.

Related Articles

Your Say


Leave a Reply