Manuel Pellegrini has confidence his squad can cope without Kevin De Bruyne and will not look to replace him before Monday’s transfer deadline.
Time is running out in the winter transfer window, but Man City coach Pellegrini was, at Friday’s press call, asked whether he would look to replace De Bruyne in the next few days, but the Chilean said he was happy with the players he has at his disposal.
The City boss confirmed the Belgium playmaker De Bruyne, who has 12 assists and 12 goals to his name this season, will be out for eight to 10 weeks after injuring his medial ligament in the midweek cup win over Everton.
“It’s not our intention to bring in anyone in January. In some moments we couldn’t play with Sergio (Aguero) or David (Silva) and now we play without Kevin,” said Pellegrini.
“We knew after the game it was a serious injury – not a season-ending injury as it was not a cruciate, but an important injury and will be out for 8-10 weeks.
“We must continue playing with the whole squad if we want to be a competitive team. It’s an important player less but we must continue with optimism and give responsibility to the squad.
“Elsewhere, the same injuries as last week – Vincent (Kompany), Mangala, Kolarov – I hope they will return next week to at least work with the squad.
“Eight to ten weeks more for Nasri and Kevin and I hope in a couple of weeks Bony will be fit again.
De Bruyne, who has created the more chances than any other City player, will be joined on the sidelines by Wilfried Bony, Aleksandar Kolarov, Vincent Kompany, Eliaquim Mangala and Samir Nasri for Saturday’s the FA Cup fourth-round tie at Aston Villa.