Pepe snubbed Prem move as Besiktas bonus revealed

Date published: Wednesday 5th July 2017 8:32

Former Real Madrid defender Pepe reportedly snubbed a transfer to Man City before signing for Besiktas earlier on Wednesday.

The Turkish Super Lig club have completed the shock free-transfer of the 34-year-old on a two-year deal.

The Portugal  international was unveiled in a signing ceremony at the Vodafone Arena and he will earn €4.75million per-season.

Pepe has also a bonus  in his contract which means for every point Besiktas earn in the league he will earn €4000 – in the matches he plays in.

And based on last season’s points total of 77, Pepe would be in line for a €300,000 bonus over the season – as long as he appeared in the games.

Pepe, who appeared over 300 times for Real, also revealed that he had other offers.

“I had offers from England, France and Italy but I chose Besiktas,” he said.

And while Pepe did not reveal which English club came in for him, a report in Hurriyet Daily News claimed via Spanish sources that Pepe turned down City and to work under former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

 

It appears Pepe was not keen on working under Guardiola, who was in charge of Real’s deadly rivals Barca for four years, while Pepe was in his playing pomp.

“I spent 10 wonderful years at Real Madrid,” said Pepe today. “My two daughters were born in Madrid, I won three Champions Leagues and three La Liga titles as well.

“I love Real Madrid and their fans.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments