Tony Pulis insists West Brom are yet to receive a bid for Saido Berahino this month – and expects the transfer to go the distance during the January transfer window.
Berahino’s future has been uncertain since handing in a transfer request at the start of the season amid several rejected offers from Tottenham.
The rumours reignited when the 22-year-old was left out of the matchday squad at Bristol City for Tuesday night’s FA Cup third round replay, before it was confirmed that he was missing through illness.
This week Spurs, along with Chelsea and Newcastle, were reported to have tabled bids but Pulis denied that such an approach had been made.
Pulis expects the speculation surrounding his joint-top goalscorer to continue until the transfer window closes on February 1, despite Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino apparently ruling his side out of the running after questioning the player’s off-field attitude.
“The present situation is the club has not received any offers at all so everything is speculation and you can’t stop people talking,” said Pulis at his pre-match press conference on Friday.
“I’m more disappointed for Saido. I told him at the beginning of the window the circus starts again.
“If something happens, something happens and he understands that from the last window.
“Unless he’s sold now, tomorrow or the next two days it could go to the deadline – it’s a good story.”
Berahino has recovered from his bout of illness and will be back in contention against midlands neighbours Aston Villa at The Hawthorns on Saturday.
“He’s okay and fit,” said Pulis. “He’ll be okay for tomorrow. He had a tummy bug – a couple of the lads had it – obviously Rick [Lambert] missed a game from it.
“I couldn’t involve him in the cup game which was a shame because I probably would have started him.
“But it’s the window again and him on all the back pages. We play Villa in a massive game and we’re not talking about the game.“